Happy 5/10 day!

For all of you who have one of these great little cars, this is your day!

My first Datsun was a '68 4 door way back in the mid '80s. I got it off a bender I worked with for cheap transportation. He had had it for a few months and never got the paper work changed over to his name. So technically I was the second owner. All he wanted was the $50 he put into it for the new starter. (he did not deserve that car)For two months it had been a 'party' car and was much abused. Each front and rear fender and all four doors had dings in them from being kicked but it ran ok and was rust proofed so solid enough from about eight Ontario winters.

I had seen what he put that car through and to be honest was looking forward to some fun, but wow it wasn't the fun I was expecting. This car was FUN to drive! Serious fun of a different kind that I had only come close to in other N Am cars. It excelled on back roads where speed was limited by curves and bumps and would fit and go anywhere. Almost impossible to get stuck. Admittedly performance was scaled down but a new thing called handling made up for it in aces.

I replaced the interior carpeting and cleaned it up inside. I found some extra ponys by lubing the dist. ball bearings which had seized on the vacuum advance. The washer pump was next. Everything that didn't work was from disuse by the original owner... he just never drove it much and didn't keep it tuned up and looked after. Lots of small things were stuck and didn't work. I added a larger new battery and halogen headlights and some tunes for the road, but at this time in my life I didn't have the money to do much else.

It was a great little car that my friends liked too. Easy to get in and out of and would take you anywhere. I really liked that car.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My day:D the only problem is I wont be able to drive it today because I am helping out my mom with chores around her house.....and the 521 is down due to a bad fuel hose that I have to go get today.....so I guess its the ford ranger today cause I need a pickup! Oh well.