Shipping Co.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shipped my own car, and also shipped a car to a guy who bought a car from me. Here is my advice call around talk to the companies get quotes and a feel for the people you will be dealing with IF something happens to your car. If you are shipping to/from someone else have them take a picture of the keys the guy I sent the car to the driver got the datsun and a porsche key mixed up the datsun key would start the porsche, but the porsche key wouldn't work on the datsun.

I'm not sure where this company will travel to & from but I used a company called Easy Car Move Inc. From Miami, FL to Birmingham, AL (roughly 12 hrs or 750ish miles) was $350 for a non-running car. They were great to deal with & I got multiple calls from the driver to update me on the status of delivery. If they are available in your area I would consider them. Hope this helps.

i have had cars transported several times. generally about 2000 miles. priced ranged

from $1000 to $1200. the first time the driver called and asked if he could drop at a rest

area very close to my house, i agreed. when i got there he was in a tempest convertible (not my 85 rx7)

with one wheel hanging off the 2nd level. one of the ramps broke midway through unloading. he instructed me

to put the ramp back into position and hold it while he back down. it worked. now unable to get my car unloaded.

the driver took a plate from another car on the transporter, affixed to the tempest, dropped the top and put the ramp in the back seat.

by phone he located a machine shop and off we went. the tempest got a little bit hot, enough to alert him by gauge or light i don't know.

he was also concerned we may run out of gas.

he got the ramp repaired, we returned without fueling up or overheating and unloaded my rx without further incident.

it was a great experience for me, i've told the story several times. i doubt the owner of the tempest knows about it's

little side trip.

i had 3 other transport experiences.

yeah there seem to be so many variables and no price guarentees. so a quote of $600 could be $750 if you want to get your car in a timely manner. All my internet research says they are all brokers, they list the pick up/delivery locations and hope the bid gets picked up. if not you have to pay more. at least you arnt out any cash until they pick the car up. all in all i guess im stupid for thinking it was like UPS!! you basically will never talk to the "real" company moving your car...just the broker, and he updates you on the status. but apparently oregon to california is a very common route

the last transporter story was for my sweet little 521. boise to north of boston 2000+/- a few miles $1000. they picked it up with a two car transporter and were taking it to a lot in boise where the full size transporter was to pick it up in a few days. my mother is in idaho i'm in boston. the little truck may have had just a few gallons of gas in it. close to empty, but not on E.

it was transported across the country very quickly and it was even on the road christmas day. when they unloaded it here in boston i was very excited to see it. it looked so small! a noisy exhaust leak but that was no matter because it was mine and fixing an exhaust leak is peanuts. in the passenger seat was a box of goodies and extras, mmm a package shelf for under the dash, assorted manuals and previous owner knick-knacks. ...in the bed of the truck a two and a half gallon gas can, empty. no dings or dents. after confirming with my ma that she did not send the gas can, previous experience says it was driven, ran out of gas, and the same few gallons of gas was replaced only because it was run out.

i'm sure the mileage is captured on the shipping contract but i was far to excited to have my new toy to bother with that at the time. the exhaust leak was not there when it left idaho either.

all in all, this and the other stuff would not stop me from using a transporter service again.

• 7 months later...

Good info [bump] Thanks.

I think I'm about to have my first car shipped.

I did one of the "have this car shipped - get a shipping quote" links via eBay.

Filled out one page and have got replies from maybe 5 or 6 brokers.

So far those folks sure seem to want my business = junk/bulk mail.

I also just started a Uship.com "auction".

Besides what is above if anybody has more good information/recommendations for a company I'm all ears.

btw...

Going from TX or CA or ?? to NY.

Upstate snowey and icy and salty NY.

btw II...

I did ask for enclosed shipping.

I am also a little concerned about the final drop off (or any transfer on the way) and salt/slush etc.

next up...

re/search payment options.

Thanks folks.