What to do with my new 520

Ok, bit the bullet and got myself a fine 520 yesterday. 86,000 original miles. Bone stock ('cept for the rims). No rust in the body, only a hole in the passenger floorboard to fix. Anyway, I have a list of demands from you guys to help me figure this critter out and what I can do to make it the daily driver of my dreams. In exchange for replies, I can offer fine photographs of it's progress - who could ask for a better deal than that, right? Some questions I have are confirming what I think I know, others are open to your suggestions. So here we go:

1) Need the stock Hitachi carb rebuilt or replaced. Where can I get a kit? Seems to me the progressive Weber is both too much carb for a 1300 and the manifold is a different bolt pattern than the L16 (?) so I'd have to make my own adapter anyway, right?

2) Swapping in a L16 requires a later transmission as well because the bolt pattern on the belhousing is different, correct?

3) The differentials in a 520, 521, 620 and even a 510 are the same allowing me to change gear ratios to something a little more highway friendly that the stock 521 ratio (assuming, of course, that I milk enough power out of whatever powerplant I end up with to push whatever ratio)

4) The plastic defroster vents I have are missing and or broken. I have one to make a pattern out of and will more than likely draft up one in 3D on the computer and laser cut myself a set out of aluminum (I work in a really nice metal shop, and I'm the draftsman/laser operator :)) Anyone else want a set if I end up making them? Might laser cut some rubber floor mats too . . .

That's enough questions for now I suppose - lots more to come. I have no photos to offer yet (only got the thing in my driveway 9 pm last night) but they're coming. Thanks

Dave

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1a). It has a Hitachi? Most 520s had Nikkis, but there were Hitachi J-series carbs. Nikki ones are REALLY hard to find parts for but were the more common carb. Still don't know where to find a kit though; they've been out-of-production for 10-15+ years (the kits... the carbs themselves have been out of production for almost 30 years). Dunno where the Mexicans and Australians get their carb rebuilds as they used the J-series all the way to 1979.

1b). No, the bolt pattern is the same as an L-series so an L-series adapter will work. It's a tight fit to the valve cover though.

2) Yes.

3) Yes... kind of. The 510 (68-72) one is from a wagon only and requires swapping out the side gears as the splines are different. And early 720s also used the same diff.

Welcome Dave! What great first post. Very informed questions. Which I have no answers for saddly. (Afraid I am more visual than mechanical.)

Though backwoods Dave just made a post the othe day about fabbing an adapter to bolt an A15 carb to a j motor. Might be the way to go.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showpost.php?p=55957&postcount=27

But I look forward to seeing your truck!

nice to have a new fan aboard, as the title says welcome home , we are all more like brothers and sisters here, a family of sorts..a lot of differant sorts, but family all the same, read thru the former threads to see also if some future questions may have been answered there already, we have a lot of very informed people on this site, and all are willing to help however they can.. welcome home and enjoy the stay.:) and i'm also sure that some of us may very well be interested in alum. accs.:D

another 520 out there , I thought I was the only one. But its good to have another brother. The carb issue all depends on the carb make. I have a j15 in my truck and the carb was too far gone to rebuild even if I could find a kit. Luckly my brother is a pretty sharp grease monkey and had a spare carb from an A15 to adapt to the J series manifold. The carb size and jetting seam to be perfect for the motor, but I'm sure the motor isn't to picky. heres apicture of the adapter and carb on the engine.

CopyofIMPORT673.jpg[/img]

Well thanks all for making me feel welcome! (and not completely soft in the head for wanting a 40 year old mini truck . . . slightly soft perhaps, just not completely) I shall be picking your collective brains until I am satisfied I know the machine inside and out, so ya'll best get used to me :D

The carburetor:

My bad. Datsunaholic you are correct, I do have a Nikki. I had concocted this fantasy in my head that, since all I could find online in the way of carb kits were Hitachis, the Nikki name I was seeing on the carb must be a model of Hitachi. I had a hard time accepting the whole Santa Claus thing too . . . I'm going to tear it down anyway, maybe I'll get lucky and find some crud blocking a jet. Sad if I just need a kit and can't find one, as this truck is low (relatively) milage and the carb has got lots of life left in it . . . Anyway, I know now why the Nikki name wasn't coming up in my searches . . .

Nice work Backwoods Dave. An A15 carb . . . I'll keep my eye out for one of those then. Life, with its cruel sense of humor, is taking me out of town this weekend, so no playing with the new toy til next week. :(. I have a Weber 34 ICT single barrel and an assortment of jets to fit it. I may slap that on there just for giggles. In the meantime, anyone else have another carb sugestion just for variety?

Severed, I thank you! I ordered a Nikki kit and a Pertronix ignition as well from Classic Garage.

Let's see if I've figured out how to post a pic

Haven't even had a chance to wash it, but here it is in all of it's glory

Not really excited about the rims. Going to have to find something else for those.

DSC04739.jpg

DSC04740.jpg

DSC04737.jpg

well Dave I think u got a heck of a better start then me, do u want to do some trading- swap 520's then u wood not have to worry about all that original stuff. ------> JK. heres what I have to start with, only payed $60 for both trk.

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010025.jpg

What suck is me and the wifey were headn out of town last sunday and coming into town on a trailer was 2- 520's -1 was a 67 the other a 68 or 9 with farm equipment on top of them. :eek: We have 2 salvage yards here, one place wont talk to u about salvaging anything the other might, just depends whos there. I think you got a good start after looking at mine. Good luck and keep us posted on the project. u luck guy :D

Greetings new guy! If you cant get the nikki dialed in the A-series hitachi swap is really straight forward. The adapter took me less than an hour to fab using scrap plate stock and a 1" +/- section of exhaust pipe. The trick is to mount the carb backwards because of the fuel cut-off solenoid clearance issue with the valve cover. Here's what you gain: A-series carb still has available kits, less prone to leakage, more readily available, electric choke, and newer(ish) technology. You can even use the stock 520 throttle cable. For the record, the carb we used on the BACKWOODS 520 is off an A-14 out of a '77 B210. But, any A-motor carb should work. Good luck and enjoy the new ride!:D