New to me 71 4dr

Just picked up a 4 dr a few weeks ago, its my 3rd 510 and first 4dr! I found the car in Bend OR, had my dad pick it up and tow it to his house in prineville, where we rebuilt the carb, and changed the points and cough, cough, VRROOOOM! Pretty cool considering the car had sat non-op for 6 yrs!! Any way, couple other little fixes and I drove it home to Vancouver (2.5hrs) the next day, all in all, did very well... 70mph downhill over hood w light snow on the road :-O ... My goals for the car is to have a very fun streetcar that could go to the track occasionally, hot L-series or ka24de, I digress. Anyways my first plans, wants and needs are suspension/brake improvements shortly followed by a wheel/tire upgrade thats going to be the start of my focus on this build thread.

On to a few of my primary concerns I was hoping to get some help with:

a)Wheel tire size would like to stay period correct with a classic style 13x7 libre is good, panasport/minilite style is good, not so much in love w the slotted mags though, my main concern here is tire size and availability, I dont like stretched tires, and am not sure if this setup can be achieved without stretching, not a fan of the "mad camber" look either. Advice here is very needed and appreciated, I would be willing to do a 14" also, like enkei 92. What tires/offset should be used to achieve tucked rear tires about 1-1.5" (dont mind rolling fenders) front tires to be tucked as much as I can and still drive everyday... Oh yeah switching to ZX struts and probably keep 510 springs for the brake upgrade.

b)Can I keep my existing wheel/tires after lowering the car? I'll include profile pics of the stock setup shortly.

c)I'll be slotting rear crossmember to maintain correct suspension geometry, do I need camber plates or adj lca's to correct camber up front? I dont want my car to drive like a pile o crap after I drop it.

Thanks for any and all help... I know my explanations may be vague, for that I apologize.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

everytime i try to paste in pics it freezes while saying "saving post" cant freakin upload pics!! If I try pasting one small pic (650x300) it says post is too short!! WTF!!! sucks being a newb!!! I'll keep trying...

3RD 510?

Hopefully it will not join the other 2 510s you had.

Just lower it and buy a garage to keep it in. This is a nice car I wish I had it.

The first 510 was a very large project (rust bucket) and was unfortunately sold before it was completed. The second car was sold after I was t-boned by a drunk driver (not in the 510) and out of work for 1.5 years. This car will be kept, and daily driven! :D

be honest I would run the stock steel wheels with the early hubcaps on this rig. and just buff it out

call it good.

well slamm it down

I personally think this car is too GOOD for Enkies!!!!!

I want some wider tires with a more aggressive sidewall, 6 or 7 in wheel width preferred. Not totaly set on enkies, but I do like them... panasport 14 is slowly moving into my #1 preference, but we shall see, I was hoping to get ride hieght figured out by canby and maybe get lucky and pick up some wheels there...

I think 14x7 zero deg(280zx struts)Gold Volk TE37 would look just about right on this car,besides the stock hubcaps.

Panasports then 15in

I hear ya there!! This car looks badass!!

Steve_Keeley_Datsun_510_TE37_Yoshi_Shindo_DSC_0018.jpg

But as far as staying "period correct" 14" remains my preferred size, and a classic style would be nice... if I can't find anything reasonably soon I will more than likely default to rota rb or grid in a 14"....

any big diff between rota grid and volk te37?