[RANT] Who listens to Hip Hop? That underground sound...

Oh yeah like waht? RBL Posse, Dre Dog (Andre Nikkitina), Brotha Lynch, C-Murder, King Tee? Mac Mall, JT the BIgga Figga, E-40 and the Click, Celly Cel, Spice 1?

All the above, Brownside, Doomsday Productions, Damani, Devin The Dude, Domino, 11-5, Twisted Insane, Bigg Geezus, Sicx, Mr. Doctor, Madogg, Knightowl, Central Coast Clique, Gangsta Dre, Jayo Felony, Watts Gangstas, Sen Dog, O.F.I., fuck man there's so many I'd be typing all day lol

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what the hell has happened?!

Arghh maybe I'm just getting old and hanging on to the old ways, lol.

Well now that my rant is over any other hip hoppers feeling the same?

so down wit dat

no whut i'n sayin...

I mean, you know what I'm sayin...

know what I'm sayin?

If you know about it... then it ain't really underground is it?

A lot of the stuff that people call music today, is not music in the normal definition. An art of sound in time, that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

For me it is different I think. I listen to stuff as a musician, one who has listened and studied for a long to be able to listen and have critical hearing skills. Most Rap and Hip Hop lack the elements of melody. Period. That I can't overlook.

I consider most of Rap and Hip Hop to be an art form and reflective of the world we live in... these are performing artists... not necessarily musicians. For me, I'd have to characterized it as sonic art not music. In brief doses I find it interesting. I get a similar feeling from some of Coltrane's more out there stuff. A huge outpouring of angst is how I feel when listening to it.

For me music, or sonic art, or any art for that matter, needs to communicate a range of feelings and impressions. If its all syrupy over the top country I get quickly bored, if it's all harsh angular angst I quickly get bored.

In beethovens 7th symphony the range of thoughts feelings and emotions I get is very broad. Coltranes solos on Miles' Davis seminal recording Kind of Blue and Niama, A love Supreme just to name a few of his and there are lots of other players too...in a completely different genre.... Bring out that same broad range of expression to me.

As I think this through, I believe that great works of art, in any medium, reflects many aspects of life, whereas those with a very narrow focus tends to have less impact over a broad timeline or cultural boundaries. Down to highly focused works that may appeal to any very small groups of people.

I'm so oldskool that all I play is BeBop... the great great grandaddy of HipHop. My focus is so narrow that I can't even have in intelligent conversation with any of you... because I would have to school you on hipness first.

But... If I have to 'splain it to ya... you ain't gonna git it...

reet

a tribe called quest, soul assasins, Visionaries, quazimoto, wu tang clan, biggie, gangstarr,de la soul, hieroglyphics, j dilla, living legends, dilated peoples, slum village, nas, jurassic 5, redman, krs one and the list goes on ........ but you also can't go wrong with ska, reggae, punk, classic rock, jazz, metal,

^^ DUDE HELL YEAH!

What about fuschniken, mf doom/grim, blackalicious, pete rock, people under the stairs,gemstones, canibus, j dilla, busdriver, rahzel, douge e fresh, rakim, handsomeboy modeling school, entire wutang clan, keith murray, early run dmc and dj cool herc among others.

busdriver is playing today at the airliner (LOW END THEORY) in lincoln heights, .....

goodie mobb, mobb deep, puts, eyedea (RIP) and dj abilities, pete rock, rakim, mf doom and all his diffrent projects, madlib, abstract rude, peanut butter wolf, stone throw records, charizma, crooklin dodgers, bambu, p.o.s, jedi mind tricks, phsyco realm, slick rick, raekwon, big L, mos def , early busta rhymes, smif n wessun .. the list goes on and on and on and on

Does anyone read thread titles anymore? Seriously it says WHO LISTENS to hip-hop not give me an explanation what music really is or why you dont listen to it.

facepalm.jpg

I'm glad somebody said it! I mean I wouldn't click on a thread that was a rant for people who like to bake..... because I don't bake. I can understand if somebody was interested in the topic but why waste your time reading through this thread if it doesn't apply to you...

hiphop didnt die it was buried alive. grab your shovels and start diggin for the underground.

Nice!

I'm glad somebody said it! I mean I wouldn't click on a thread that was a rant for people who like to bake..... because I don't bake. I can understand if somebody was interested in the topic but why waste your time reading through this thread if it doesn't apply to you...

i clicked one it and replied for one simple reason.....

d3ec2_ORIG-for_teh_lulz.jpg

A little late to the party, but have you checked out Hail Mary Mallon, goonfan? It's Aesop Rock, Rob Sonic and Big Wiz. I saw 'em live once and it was pretty dope. I like almost everything Aesop does though, so I may be a little biased but if you're a fan of his its definitely worth checking out.

Yeah keep it coming!

Aesop keeps tight hands on his albums these days so I haven't heard any leaks yet. Still on the fence with the new El-P I hope the new Aesop Rock is sick.

Must not sleep must warn others

Trust blocks creep when the dust storm hovers