Gear reduction starters

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. I heard about those from an MG guy last week at AZ.

Is there any benefit to a gear reduction starter in a stock compression engine other then reduction in current draw and weight? (My understanding is that gear reduction starters are typically lighter)

Anybody try these????

these should last forever

about 225$

http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com/gearreductionstarters.html#techinfo

My official Nissan rebuild 280zx GR unit didnt last as long as I thought. 8-9 years daily driver 521

Have a 35 $ O Riley Special non GR right now and seems fine

Hainz,

If your dead starter has a 2 piece nose that unbolts to get to the gears, just buy an aftermarket gear reduction starter for a Chevy V8 and swap the mounting/gear case flange with the OE part and it will likely fit.

I was at the track one weekend and the aftermarket GR truck starter crapped out (like all starters on a BBC). I ended up swapping nose parts and used the racecar spare in the truck to get it going.

If your starter has a one piece nose with a tin plate that is screwed inside the nose to keep the gears in place, forget everything I just said, it won't work.

Yeah those are just Hitachi units sold by Tilton "Super Starters.

seem them in a shop for Chevys I sad Dam dont that look like a 280zx GR unit and noticed they said made in Japan So I new already back then.

I was just wondering if anybody tried this TSI Unit I had listed above.

Defdes on here(also the realm) has one but for his race car) I just wanted to know any body use it as a daily driver. Where nes does alot of starter use. Race cars a starter will last a last time I think.