Swap to Ir alternator. Need link to info?

ofg

Alright. heres the dealio. Im trying to make a 1973 610 wagon run. It didnt come with an alternator. So, I have a brilliant idea. Why not take the alt out of my 1979 210,, and use it in the 1973 610! Then I can just buy a nice new rebuilt one for the 210. Anyway. I know there is a way to run the internal regulated alternator in older cars. just need to know what to do. Jumper some wires somewhere?

Used search,, lots of fluff about it,, but could not find the actual information regarding the process.

Thanks!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can dig up quite a few diagrams if you search.

its a matter of crossing 2 sets of wires at the external regulator.

I prefer to cut the plug off the external regulator and doing the wiring on the plug

so Im not cutting up the factory harness.

This is how I hooked up my IR alternator on my 521 truck.

VoltRegPlug.jpg

This is a picture of the alternator ground wire that connects to the cab of the 521 truck.

AltBodyGround.jpg

When you take your external regulator out of the car, reconnect the wire back to the body of the car

Your car should have a similar wire that connects to the frame of the alternator to the body of the car. This wire is very important. Many of the electrical devices use the cars body as a ground, and without this wire, the electrical stuff will try to ground through the throttle linkage, or other stuff that goes between the engine and the body of the car.

look at Daniel C photo

whte/red wire will get jumpered to the white blk

white wire jumpered to the yellow wire. Thats it This is for a 510/521 set up/ Im Dont know 610s but I would think it be close to the same colors.

I cant post that diagram anymore for soem reason.

soembody should just make a diagram link to all this eleltronic ignition conversion ect......

this was all in the HOW TO section. but have to start with page 1 and then look

I appreciate all the information posted. I did search,, and found a bunch of fluff. its difficult to find anything when the thread starter is not specific about the problem in his title. The search function will find all words in the query even if they are not grouped together.

Still trying to make this wagon run even though its for sale in a bad way now. It just keeps giving me head aches. Now I need to find an alternator bracket,, and couple bolts for the water pump....Tired of spending $$ and time on it,and not getting any results.

Yeah, simple, I know. I got to go to a junk yard and find a usable alt bracket. Drag my tool box with misc nuts and bolts over to where the wagons are stored and try to match whats missing...Put new juice in it,, get everything hooked up. Hot wire it...Today I took pics,, and painted some more 210 interior panels. tomorrow, I add more paint to 210 plastics,, and locate parts at a junk yard. Mabey wednsday I drag my ass down there and work on it again...Might have to order an alt bracket though.. I just cant leave it alone! Have to make the 210 my priority though.

• 2 weeks later...