Best Radio for a 510 Wagon

Hey all. Quick question. I'm trying to decide what type of radio to get for my 1972 510 Wagon and I have no idea where to begin.

While I don't need this radio to do everything, the things I do need it to do are:

-Play my iPod through either a USB and/or Aux

And that's it! Simple.

However, I do want the radio I end up purchasing to not only last me a long time (if not for ever) but also to hold a nice show quality in the car. In other words, a more high end type of radio.

I have no real price range. If it comes with sat nav, sat radio, phone, touch screen panel, all that 21st century stuff (which I don't think I could find a radio that would fit with all that frankly), I don't mind. If it's a good radio, I'll cough out the money for it somehow.

I've only had the opportunity to drive my car a few times (seeing how I'm in Florida for school and my car resides at my home base in Maryland), so I haven't taken it to any shops to see if they could fit any of their radios in, so I figure I might as well ask the Datsun community until I come home.

Any suggestions???

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lolololol I don't even know what to say... Either mount any radio into glove box if you don't want to cut the stock radio space or shove an old cassette deck in and run one of those addapters. Dont need to chop the plastic for either one if that's your issue. I don't see how this is specific to a 510 wagon though.... Best radio in general?

Most newer aftermarket radios can be made to fit with minor trimming of the plastic radio surround bezel.

If all you need is a stereo that will play an ipod, you can find many units that will do that. Some are small enough to mount in the glove box. I have even seen tiny ones that could fit in the ashtray. If you want to mount one in the stock location and you want to be able to return your car to stock or want to be able to swap out the new radio for the old, just buy and extra radio surround bezel. I have one I can sell you. I am in MD too.

Now choosing where to mount your speakers will be a bigger challenge. Do you plan to keep the door panels intact or are you willing to have them cut to install speakers?

I know you bought "Maryann" from Rich and it is a very nice, stock original car so cutting on it will be a tough decision.

Crutchfield has lots of great stereo stuff. Check out their online catalog.

http://www.crutchfield.com

Let me know if I can help.

I don't see how this is specific to a 510 wagon though.... Best radio in general?

Well preferably one that fits where the stock radio is in the 510 is why I posted; before I just started placing a random radio 'somewhere' in the car, I just wanted to know if there was a common radio used by 510 owners, you know?

Posted by MikeRL411 on 16 July 2008 - 10:36 AM in General Discussion

On page 153 of the latest JC Whitney catalog [728J-07] may be your solution. Part number XS368190F, $249.99, is the "Retro Sound Universal Radio with CD Changer Control". It fits classic dash openings. The knobs are separate, with adjustable brackets, from the face plate so any opening [think the weird Philco knob locations in the 65 Mustang] can be accomodated. The face plate can be mounted independent of the body which can literally be mounted anywhere in the car. The unit has four 60 Watt outputs, 2 preamp outputs, USB and auxiliary MP3 input and a full function remote. The CD Changer controller works with Sanyo compatible CD changers. Sounds like a lot of function and flexibility for the money.

Most single DIN radios can be made to fit in the stock location with minor trimming.

That would be fine. I wouldn't mind trimming if need be.

:rofl: Haha high end indeed! But I'd save up for it. My plan is to keep this Datsun for as long as possible, preferably until death do us part. As my first car, I want to take the utmost care of her and treat her nice to some fancy, well deserving "jewelry" if you will, starting with the radio.

I know you bought "Maryann" from Rich and it is a very nice.

Yes I did! Unfortunately Rich didn't tell me some of the issues with the car which he may or may not have known about. For instance, when I went to go pick up my 510 from my grandparents house, I drove it to my home, an hour away, on straight battery for the alternator was completely shot without my knowing. I found out that night when I took my girlfriend out in my new car.......when Mary-Ann died in front of a Ledo's Pizzeria at closing time. When the guys at the pizzeria asked if this was our first date, my girlfriend replied jokingly, "No...I would have left by now" :P

After about 2 weeks in the shop, however, she was up and running and ready to pass Maryland state inspection. I'll get her registered when I go home in 12 days.

That would be fine. I wouldn't mind trimming if need be.

:rofl: Haha high end indeed! But I'd save up for it. My plan is to keep this Datsun for as long as possible, preferably until death do us part. As my first car, I want to take the utmost care of her and treat her nice to some fancy, well deserving "jewelry" if you will, starting with the radio.

Yes I did! Unfortunately Rich didn't tell me some of the issues with the car which he may or may not have known about. For instance, when I went to go pick up my 510 from my grandparents house, I drove it to my home, an hour away, on straight battery for the alternator was completely shot without my knowing. I found out that night when I took my girlfriend out in my new car.......when Mary-Ann died in front of a Ledo's Pizzeria at closing time. When the guys at the pizzeria asked if this was our first date, my girlfriend replied jokingly, "No...I would have left by now" :P

After about 2 weeks in the shop, however, she was up and running and ready to pass Maryland state inspection. I'll get her registered when I go home in 12 days.

Hey, give a shout when you get back. We should hook up. There are several 510 guys that are local.

Are you planning on coming to the East Coast Datsun 510 meet on May 18-20?

Pete Brock of BRE will be the grand marshall of the event.

Info here> www.eastcoastdatsun510.com

Well I was half serious about the 99RS... But it's really just the center piece, you'll end up spending 2-3x more than that on drivers, amps, sound deadening, install and security... that's if your smart about it and do all the work yourself. Check out DIYMA for some research.

There are other receivers available that use the retro style hookup, most are a fm/am/usb setup, and several manufacturers to choose from, heck, if you want cheap, even Pyle makes some...

Worst case scenario you can hack up the dash a little to make a different radio fit...but there isn't a need to if you don't want to, and as someone else mentioned, the less "custom" it looks, the less inviting it is...less chance of someone breaking into your car to steal it.

If all you want is tunes and don't care much for sound quality (all the other options posted) then you can just mount the HU under the dash above the heater, there is TONS of room, looks okay too. I did that in the wagon I sold, it had some awful speakers that were total garbage and with the car being miles away from be worthy of a good system, one where the HU I mentioned earlier would actually matter, I just threw a deck I had in my basement under the dash. Sprayed it with flat black paint and it blended in pretty good.

Don't know if the new owner likes it much, lol, but at least he got a bad ass CD with it too... KNO and Marq Spekt; Machette Vision