Project Papa Smurf

I felt it was time to start a thread to track my slow motion progress on my dime's SR20 swap (and other upgrades/repairs)

here's the way I bought it:

new 17" wheels and tires(different set up now), all new glass rubber

2311502_3.jpg

new steering wheel and nice Kenwood stereo, factory tach, acura front seats and limo tint

2311502_4.jpg

great original headliner and new dome light

2311502_5.jpg

freshly built L18 with ported w53 head, new performance cam and new lash pads, polished valve cover, new water pump and fan clutch, new weber carb, mallory dual point distributor, holley fuel pressure regulator, VW radiator, 280zx 5 speed, new clutch and resurfaced flywheel, new clutch master and slave, 280zx brake master, techno toy tuning camber plates, relocated battery

2311502_6.jpg

2.5" exhaust, fully adjustable, slotted rear xmember, 280zx front struts and brakes, new rear cylinders, new pads and shoes, kyb shocks in rear,

2311502_7.jpg

taking my L18 out to put in my 521:

2311502_8.jpg

here's my dime as it stands today: (sr20 on the hoist with a freshly resurfaced nismo flywheel) covered in a year's worth of dust. what a shame.

2311502_12_full.jpg

the goods: (Datsport full suspension kit- powdercoated black, datsport insulated tranny cover, custom billet shift plate, greddy BOV, greddy timer, greddy intake manifold, poly bushings, iridium plugs, nismo mounts and sparco oil) more dust!

2311502_13_full.jpg

and for today's update I just got the turbo in the mail.

Garrett GT2860RS (famous Idaho disco potato)

DSCF2269.jpg

I'm a little intimidated by all the wires and hoses of this swap SO...

all input/suggestions/thoughts WELCOME

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That 510 is going to raise hell on Earth.

What happened to that cool L18???

Nice work.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

that cool L18 is powering my ratty 521 pickup! (and pushing a stock 4 speed and differential-what a waste!:eek:)

oh yea nice 510. haha

but seriorsly. its a cool the colour is a nice colour. [my first 510 was that colour, but it was rattle canned] very clean and very straight. i want to see interior.!! haha I like the inside of the 510. and the outside.

I just put eclipse seats in my 510. they are a little tall but really comfortable.

Nice!!! I want that turbo!! That car is going to be crazy fast. What are you using for management? The wiring is easier on the s13 but the s14 isn't to bad :D Rich used the Datsport kit, its designed for more strut angle than the zx ones.... Keep me posted. What intercooler are you using?

Haha, its alright, someday I will save up enough money and buy one. Then I will learn how to shift into 5 gears!

I drove my brothers hard body the other day, and totally spaced it having a 5th gear and he was like are you going to shift?

Nice!!! I want that turbo!! That car is going to be crazy fast. What are you using for management? The wiring is easier on the s13 but the s14 isn't to bad :D Rich used the Datsport kit, its designed for more strut angle than the zx ones.... Keep me posted. What intercooler are you using?

yeah man. I was just going to go stock on the s14 at first but then I noticed the stock turbo was seized up. so I thought: "crap. a new one is like $900" so I looked around and found a killer deal on this one for only like $100 more so I figured why not? then I got the Greddy intake and now I'm in too deep! haha

honestly, I haven't decided on engine management. I have the stock ecu. what do you recommend?

what do you mean when you say the Datsport kit is made for more angle than the zx ones?

BAZ from Datsport told me some measurements on an intercooler and I couldn't find a GReddy to fit(I didn't want to chop up my dime too much) so he suggested getting one on ebay.

UPDATE: I just scored a used Greddy boost controller to match my timer for $170 shipped.

I wish someone who's done this swap lived close by so we could hang! heck, I wish anyone on this forum lived close by so we could hang.

Haha, its alright, someday I will save up enough money and buy one. Then I will learn how to shift into 5 gears!

I drove my brothers hard body the other day, and totally spaced it having a 5th gear and he was like are you going to shift?

haha! that's awesome. I learned stick on a new hardbody and a 200sx

it was kinda cool though the guy who owned it before my father bought it swapped out the rear ends and the motor couldn't top out. so anyspeed was ok. well until the motor couldn't go anyfaster. and we lived in the mountains so there was no speed limit and lots of long straigh roads.

I wish I learned on something cool. I had to learn on a FORD. hey at least they circle the problem

HAHA! that's funny.

but truth is, and most guys here would probably agree: "it ain't where you're from, cuz it's where you're at"

same with God

That is true. And I am here now. It took awhile. and Im glad others like you are here as well. [well far away but close kinda] to keep me moving forward. [litteraly and spiritually]

yeah I guess I'm like on the rim of the northwest!

yeah I think that is what this site should also focus on: helping other datsun enthusiasts to move forward on their projects.

(and that's what Christians are supposed to be about spiritually: helping others move forward in their lives)

BAcon, man I love your smurf. Really clean! Cool that you have the balls to take something that clean and beautiful, and improve upon it! It is gonna be a stunner.

Rock on, Scott

BAcon, man I love your smurf. Really clean! Cool that you have the balls to take something that clean and beautiful, and improve upon it! It is gonna be a stunner.

Rock on, Scott

haha! I don't know if it's testicles, but maybe stupidity!:o

I'm not quite the mechanic that I would like to be, but I'm trying to learn as I go!

thanks for the encouragement Scott!(and for being one of the guys on here that always has something positive to say to everyone):cool:

right on man sweet project i wish i knew more about this swap to help but i know in the how to there is a thread that can show you how to wire it

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=549

thanks for your support man!

yeah I looked at that thread and will be looking through it SEVERAL times in the next few months. haha. I'm a slow learner.:blink:

not a problem man thats what were all here for glad to help and im interested to see how it turns out i still havent desided on my final power plant so seeing how this works for you may sway my choice

not a problem man thats what were all here for glad to help and im interested to see how it turns out i still havent desided on my final power plant so seeing how this works for you may sway my choice

dood, it would be so sweet to see an SR20 in a 610!:cool:

hell yeah it would thats one of the things im thinking about but im also thinking about doing what fineline did in his 620 tubcharging the stock l20b that would be sick to not as much power but definatly a sweet set up

hell yeah it would thats one of the things im thinking about but im also thinking about doing what fineline did in his 620 tubcharging the stock l20b that would be sick to not as much power but definatly a sweet set up

yeah dood that would be rad. turbos are sweet anyway you bolt em up

what do you mean when you say the Datsport kit is made for more angle than the zx ones?

QUOTE]

I think what Icehouse means is that the control arms are to long and you have to run tons of camber to get your wheels to fit under the fenders we did that kit in a customers car and we had to take the control arms out and cut them and make them adjustable to clear...Very nice car by the way

Clayton

dood, it would be so sweet to see an SR20 in a 610!:cool:

Don't get me started - But it would appear that someone beat us to it:

It's not an SR20, but I think an FJ20 is still 2 litres.