Texas Project - 1978 Datsun 210 ZX w/ FED Bodykit

No, it is a flipped center section 510 crossmember with 620 motor mounts.

Actually we did not cut the center section out,..., we just flipped the 510 crossmember... we then removed the crossmember bolt/pins that hold the LCA & we are using 8" Grade8 bolts in their place...fits perfectly without cutting & rewelding...

• Like 1
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be WARNED!!!... The stock crossmember bolt/pin that holds the LCA in place is a unique shape... it is designed to fit into the crossmember in a specific direction... The stock pin/bolt has a conical shape on one end & is narrower on the other end.... In the stock position, this special shape fits perfectly into the housing at each end of the cross member & provides the exact measurements needed for attaching the LCA. If you flip the cross member,... then the position of this unique stock bolt/pin becomes reversed... This is why it is suggested that you cut/flip/re-weld the center section of the crossmember, in order to leverage to stock bolt/pin placement...

What we did was hone out the smaller end of the flipped cross member so that the 8" grade8 bolt would snuggly fit thru the housing.... there is some wiggle room at the opposite/larger end of the housing, but I have a solution for that as well.

smaller opening in crossmember housing... once the crossmember is swapped/reversed/flipped/turned (whatever you call it).. the smaller opening now faces the firewall.... therefore the stock bolt/pin does not work.... this is why people cut & reweld just the center section.

551022_3716803162607_2107821407_n.jpg

I WILL say,.. that after looking at the housing in the crossmember,... it may be possible to grind out the welds holding it in place... and then reverse & reweld just the bolt housing so that the larger & smaller sides are in the correct locations,..

Allen, you are doing some awesome work there man. Sorry I couldn't come out this past weekend but I live on the other side of Ft.worth and just have too much on plate right now. I can't wait to see this one finished and driving, have you thought of a paint shceme yet?

Allen, you are doing some awesome work there man. Sorry I couldn't come out this past weekend but I live on the other side of Ft.worth and just have too much on plate right now. I can't wait to see this one finished and driving, have you thought of a paint shceme yet?

Theme will be a mix between Ratsun Racing, the GT-R-NOT, & traditional BRE - I am going to paint the Rats&Wrenches logo on the hood & on the sides... Cheap China made GTR badges front & rear ($3 eBay score)... and I'll have the traditional BRE stripes,.. but will list RRE instead of BRE (Ratsun Racing Enterprises) - LEMONIZ (instead of SIMONIZ),.. and a few other touches... My wife also owns an embrodiary business so she is going to make us some Ratsun Racing crew shirts & some Rats&Wrenches Caps for the pit crew...

But before theme can happen,... we still have a TON of work to do.... good news is that I now have a lead on a Ford Mustang LX 5.0 8.8" rear end & some extra 4on4.5 wheel/tires

I still need a ton of parts, and need to keep everything withn my budget,...

Next LeMons race is Sept 29th & 30th at MSR Houston

Stay Tuned!

BTW,... I had a driver drop out of the Sept LeMons event, so I have an open seat. PM me if you are interested. Must have previous racing experience... The LeMons registration fee is $200,... plus use/abuse car rental fee of $500 (covers tires, brakes, & fuel cost for the weekend. Also includes free cap & crew shirt)

still curious about the sway bar

I'll test fit the stock sway bar this weekend... not sure it will work,... but we'll figure something out...

Also ordered 22gallon fuel cell,.. new front rotors, brake pads, strut inserts, & new clutch master slave....

I have a feeling that the fuel system is going to be a real B(TCH with the fuel cell arrangement.