ROTARY'S SUCK what's a good replacement

OK OK.... I am Datto all the way. But I do have a few rare Rotary motorcycles.

So I have a 96 200sxSER that I got cheap and fixed it to be a real nice car.

A good friend comes to me with this tade. He wants the 200

He has a 90 RX7 Turbo II s5. Red, black leather and factory tuning fork wheels. Mazda's advertisement car for that year.

The car runs good and has a host of expensive go fast goodies ith it. Only problem is it leaks water from the rotor housing seals. Big rubber bands between the housings.

SO... My question is. If I decide to ditch the rotary what would be a good replacement?

I was thinking of a Ford 23. turbo. Cause I know where a whole car is cheap.

already measured it for an L6. No fit:mad: too bad I have 5 extra motors.

What do you guys think would be a good swap for this car?

thanks

tc

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why not try to have the rotary fixed?

I don't know if that would be supremely expensive, but I've come to know the 1.3 mazda rotary to be an amazing motor.

my buddy had an rx7 and loved it. he would own one today if we had a rotary mechanic in our rural part of Idaho.

yeah.. a basic seal kit is $400 and a complete gasket/seal kit is $900 and that is no apex seals. that's another $300

the s5 is the most expensive but all of them are.

Guest DatsuNoob

CA18DET or VG30DETT if you have the room under there to get crazy. Or if you plan to replace it anyway, why not see if you got what it takes to make some repairs on a rotary? Atleast, that's just my idea.

Guest jaimesix

I like rotary engines. There are fun an fast. Plenty of rotary engines racing today.

I would second the 20B reply. 20Bs are awesome, 400HP FI , it is a super engine.

Or else, rebuild the 13B you got. Any Mazda fan will tell you it is sacrilege to use a V8 in a Mazda rotary car.

It will be very expensive to swap in a V8. Rebuild your 13B, or if you have no financial constraints, go for a 20B.

Jaime.__________________________________________________________

I might just get a seal kit and fix the rotary.? the mechanics of it is no problem. Just hate wasting money on something that is underpowered and unreliable.

5.0 Ford is too tall carbed of efi. GM is out of the question. I hate Generic Motors. I have a ca1.8et not DET. 135 turbo hp is just too anemic for a real sports car.

I might SR20det it if I can find a swap reasonable. VG30 would be a good inexpensive swap and easy to find too. I like the idea of keeping it Nissan.

No one likes the ford 2.3 turbo? and a T5 bw.

With the car being a turbo, this info is proboable not the best, but N/A rotaries when kept cool and well cared for, will be plenty reliable My dad used to work for a team that ran RX-7's in the early 80's and they would beat the motors to shit and not have problems with them. I'm talking 10,000+ RPM all the time. At that engine speed the biggest problem that they found is that the rotors will sometimes explode :). But for a street engine I wouldn't worry about that.

I vote for rebuilding the rotary. Just make sure that you don't run to much boost through it, and that you keep the thing well cooled. Defineatly upgrade the radiator and oil cooler and make sure that they are in good working order.

And if thats not you cup of tea, I have seen a few good 5.0 swaps done for the Grassroots Motorsports $200X challenge, so that is always an option, and I can be done for cheap obviously.

Guest jaimesix
I might just get a seal kit and fix the rotary.? the mechanics of it is no problem. Just hate wasting money on something that is underpowered and unreliable.

5.0 Ford is too tall carbed of efi. GM is out of the question. I hate Generic Motors. I have a ca1.8et not DET. 135 turbo hp is just too anemic for a real sports car.

I might SR20det it if I can find a swap reasonable. VG30 would be a good inexpensive swap and easy to find too. I like the idea of keeping it Nissan.

No one likes the ford 2.3 turbo? and a T5 bw.

Rotary engines are not underpowered nor unreliable.

I think you are bent on swapping in something else. If that is what you want, just do it.

It is a fact you do not like rotary engines, but it is a misstatement that rotary engines are underpowered or/and unreliable.

BTW, this is a thread that belongs to the "Non Datsun Car Projects" forum.

Jaime._______________________________________________________

thanks for all the info guys.

looks like my buddy is going to keep the car cause I really don't want it.

look at the hole in the hoods of the 5.0 swaps. a 5.0 doesn't really fit if you have to cut a hole in the hood.

Looks like the vg is the best fit.?

I'm sticking with what I know works.

LONG LIVE THE "D"