L20B copper head gasket

Danny

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any one know where to get a copper head gasket for a L20B?

Thanks

Danny

It's a solid copper head gasket. Copper is 'soft' enough to form a good seal and won't blow out.

Yes going to start a turbo build soon but first need to bulid a L2300.

Danny you should really see about having the block O ringed instead of the copper gasket.

• 1 month later...

Depends on the overbore,... 2mm would be a lot and that would only be 1mm all the way round. The gasket hole may already be larger than the bore to begin with.

I wouldn't use one. If I had a really high compression or were running some kind of boost I would O ring it.

The copper gasket makers like Clark and Hussey will make you a gasket in any desired thickness and bore, a real bonus when you are dialing in a desired compression ratio. Problem is the bore is usually round instead of oval, so you gotta plan around that. For high CRs, a stock gasket sometimes proves to be inadequate. Other than the o-ring option, a MLS gasket is usually the best alternative, but nobody makes one for the L4. I used an MLS on my race L6 and was thinking I could get one of those and trim it down for an L4, anybody ever try that?

Copper is soft and grabs onto the head and block surface quite well, but with proper machining of these surfaces prior to assembly, they really aren't required for most purposes.