620 Head Gasket replace

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Location SLUT? Haha.

Have you ever changed a head gasket before? Helps to know where you are at before throwing out advice

Yep SL,UT. It's like a local joke, it stands for Salt Lake cityUTah

I have not changed one before, no. I will be getting help from a couple local Ratsuners however, so I wont be doing it alone at least.

Bananahamuck: Thanks for the link, I'll go through it for sure

Persoanlly I would break the crank bolt loose also when taking the head chain off, incase you drop the chain later. But amazon does have those timming chain wedges for sale for 10$ also when putting the chain back on you can slightly move the came left of right to get slack tp pull the chain up to get on the cam dowell. PS mark the chain before removing it on the timming mark #1 2 or 3. ink pen or whiteout. remove the fuel pump!

• Like 1

Mark timing chain and scam sprocket relationship so it goes back the same way. This is also a good time to check for timing chain stretch and make adjustments when putting the sprocket back on.

Disconnect the down pipe and carb linkages and hoses and lift the head off with both manifolds and carb on it. This saves so much time and lessens the chance of braking manifold bolts and having a leaking intake/exhaust leak. Keep the head level and tip up just enough to wire wheel off the old gasket material.

Be sure you find and keep the two alignment dowels that line the head up on the block.

I don't think it matters but loosen the head bolts from the outside ends and working inward to the center. Fully loosen them and lift head off with the bolts. This way the washers don't fall into the motor (or gravel driveway) Don't forget the four 10mm bolts around the front timing cover.

Set TDC so you only have to clean gasket out of two cylinders.

Do NOT rotate the cam in the head if at all possible. If you do, be extra sure that you check/set the cam back to TDC before installing head. This will save you some bent valves.

• Like 1

I want one

306019_260901817330792_100002329283682_575183_758410006_n.jpg

I don't want Datsun brought here! Don't want our Datsuns cheapened. Don't want to run into someone talking about his Datsun unless it's at least 30 years old. Don't want some tool coming up to me and saying "Hey you have a Datsun just like me!" Russia can have 'em.

Put a straight edge in an x across the length of the head measure for. 003" If you have more than this have the head clearanced. In fact its a good idea to do that anyway.