L16 intake manifold on a 79?

Llittle_Llama

ok, did some research and it seems the 79 lb20 has some sort of water cooling passages in the intake..... i assume also that the L16 does not. so can i still use it, and has anyone done it and possibly have a write-up or pics? as soon as it gets here imma port and polish what i can on it and gasket match it but when i went to the part store today i couldn't figure out which gasket i needed, any help on that front? and last but not least, what gasket do i get to go between the carb and intake? they dint show one at all at advanced auto parts......

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably have the W58 head with round exhaust ports. These came on the '77-'79 620 and had the coolant passages. '75-'77 were likely U-67 square exhaust ports and no coolant passages. The L16 intake will still fit and the gasket will seal the holes in the head.

Nissan didn't put them there for looks, they do serve a function on the L20B. They make it more efficient and drivable in cool weather and startup.

Sure it wasnt a w58?It may have been tapped out.Never heard of a w53 with water passages.

Definitely use the L16 intake mani.If the head doesnt have water ports then bypass the hose to the mani.You only need to port match to the head tapering in about 3/4" to 1".You should hog out the carb area to match a weber.Open up the adapter too.Dont polish it.

Here is one I did.I use a router bit chucked up in a straight die grinder.The side force will strip out the head on an angle grinder.Takes a seriously steady hand and you have to rotate the piece otherwise the grinder will bounce around.A dremel will take you forever.After opening it up a bit use an actual porting kit with heavy grit sanding drums to clean it up a bit.Its no picnic so you should find something to practice on.

2005_0416Image0045.jpg

2005_0416Image0044.jpg

2005_0416Image0043.jpg

well i have the w58 head, so that solves that, and imma port the shit outa the thing once i get it. why not polish the adapter?and last of all, can i take the carb butterflies out of the choke section? im in the lower south and it never gets cold enough.....

Some heads had the intake water heating, some didn't. The '75-'77 620 L20Bs didn't I believe as they used a connected intake/exhaust manifold. The exhaust heated the intake. I think it was the U-67 head. (could be wrong) The hole could be drilled out if you wanted to run the intake with water passages.