toyota 4 pistons on a zx vented disk

ViperGT

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre '86 'Yoda 6 pot calipers use the solid rotor. '87 and on calipers are wider to be used on the vented rotors.

I had a set (somewhere) of the larger ones right. The left one is a Maxima caliper. The Toyotas ones are massive and massively heavy too. I have a set of the smaller Toyota calipers on my 620. It weighs close to 3,500 pounds and wow to they ever shop that thing.

IMG_0243.jpg

Pre '76 'Yoda 6 pot calipers use the solid rotor. '77 and on calipers are wider to be used on the vented rotors.

I had a set (somewhere) of the larger ones right. The left one is a Maxima caliper. The Toyots ones are massive and massively heavy too. I have a set of the smaller Toyota calipers on my 620. It weighs close to 3,500 pounds and wow to they ever shop that thing.

Mike, i have to disagree with this information.

76 Landcruiser was the first year to have vented rotors. And the Lancruiser remained vented through all years after that.

The pickups are the calipers that most people reference to when doing this conversion(same calipers as LC though i think), And Toyota didnt release a 4x4 PU until 79 with solid rotors, and they remained solid rotors through the 85 model year. 86 saw the introduction of the IFS 4x4's and the vented rotor on the 4x4 PU's.

Ha ha did I say '76, oh man I was tired... add ten years to that post. My bad and you're right. I have the SAS 'Yoda axle on my 620. When Toyota went to the IFS they also went to the vented rotors/wider calipers.

ahah ok thanks mine came of a 4x4 4runner not sure what year but it had the 22r (carb) so 80's id assume? ill check in a little to see if the fit and let you guys know

1985 was the last year for the carb'd 22r. So those calipers should be for solid rotors.

• 4 months later...

The vented toyota calipers don't fit the 280ZX rotors either...

The only calipers that I am aware of, that fit the stock 280ZX vented rotor and 280ZX front strut are the 280ZX front calipers.

For the S30Z, you can swap the toyota calipers over, vented or solid disks, but there is a catch:

For the solid, original front disks, you use the 84-85 toyota pickup front calipers, and trim the dust plate...they bolt on.

For vented front disks, you disassemble the front hub, remove the solid disk, install a spacer that depends on the year of the car for thickness, and install 84 Z31 4-lug front rotors...these are vented, the proper diameter, and the correct thickness to fit the later 86-88 toyota calipers.

Be careful which caliper you choose...there are two toyota calipers that will accept much easier to find race pads, and two calipers that have VERY limited pad options.

S12+8 calipers will accept lightly modified 86-87 RX-7 Sport Suspension front pads, in either solid or vented caliper versions

S12W calipers only use S12W pads.

S13W calipers are freakin huge, very heavy, don't fit under most 14" or 15" wheels, and can use Z31 front pads...they will drop right in.

There is another caliper that I forget the marking on...it uses only the pads for the truck it came on, and is not very common at all in the states.

The single rotor caliper will never fit the vented rotor.

Thats not true, there is a company in aus that sells a spacer plate with o rings that goes between the caliper and uses a mitsu gallant vented rotor on s30's. Pretty nifty and cheap too. Bolt on 4 pots with vented rotors. Pretty nifty, not many people here are hip to it yet either. I personally rather that then the later yoda calipers because they are cheaper and dont require a mounting spacer.

Cressi vented rotors work without a spacer but not on any datsun I know of. This is on a triumph

RandySchultz-R.jpg