Check out what I just scored!

Ohhhh yeaahhh! I had to drive to BFE fuck cold nowhere tonight (Worley, ID). It was totally worth it. Roughly 210k rebuildable core trans/transfer case unit for the hardbody. This one is out of an '87 D21. Hollander indicates it's the same 87-95, King Rat says indeed the front bellhousing case unit is the same number. Looks identical. The best part was it only cost $60 bucks. He did have the top plate off during a little rain shower, so there may be a slight bit of water in it. I'll have to open it up and address that, but likely not enough water to cause major rust damage. Shafts still turn freely. He took it out because it was making a bearing noise, but the trans still worked fine. Likely that front input shaft bearing, they usually are the first to go in the truck trannies.

This will hopefully be rebuilt and put in before going to Canby this year. Car just isn't going to be finished in time, rocking the D21 again. But at least it's a Datsun21! ;)

asiantranny.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know the best part the guy had people call and he would tell them it was from an 87 hardbody with a Z24, and they'd say I have a KA, they're different. Haha, sucks to be them! (Of course I haven't taken it apart yet, shouldn't count my chickens too soon, right?)

Well, actually, I can't get much in the way of manual tranny rebuild kits. Auto yes, manual no. Fortunately I know a good Datsun gear guy who can get them. Just have to see how much he wants in labor for the trans/transfer case combo. Usually $350-400 for simple trannies (bringing them to him), but the t-case likely will add on another $150-200. I may take it apart first and try my hand at it, though I'm not sure I have all the tools I need to change stuff out. Have a press, but not the special tools to pull gears off shafts etc. I'd rather try it on the car transmission, it's a lot easier to remove.

We'll see when I get a free moment if I want to tackle it.

Oh wow. HAHAHA. I love that image.

Great score on the trans!

I want to see it cleaned up and sparkling new-looking by midnight. Gives you roughly 6 minutes.

DO IT NAO

Yeah, I can do that too, but going to need new synchros as well. Just easier to get a kit. I am entertaining the thought of changing gear ratios in this tranny. I'd like shorter 1-4, and a taller OD for cruising on the highway yet keeping the rpms down. Might yank apart some of the other trannies to count gear teeth and measure ID/OD. Unless tranny guru Mike has those numbers available too? (Kinda doubt it)

Careful about changing 5th ...

if it cant pull easily in most conditions in your current 5th ratio ...

you're sure as hell wont want a taller ratio ...

unless you live in flat landed area ... then very ideal :)

Changing 1-3 sounds pretty cool :cool:

good score! ...