Sandblast cabinet mod - mklotz70

I've had this cabinet for a couple of years at least. It's been set up in one of the sheds, but I've never used it. I finally brought it into the shop to use it to clean up the lower control arms I'm working on. I've shown one or two things with this cab in other threads, but I took a lot of pics, so I thought I'd just throw up a separate thread.

The lighting is so bright in the shop that I just couldn't see to blast parts. I could see awesome out in the shed since it was semi dark in there. I figured I needed some kind of curtain to block the light. I've been mentally building this in my head for weeks, but when I actually got started, it came out completely different. It was going to be fixed, but then I realized that I wanted to put it back in the shed when I didn't need it. Folding seemed like the best option. The rectangular tubing is leftover parts from the canopies I've put up. So's the round piece and the tarp.

The welding pic.....023 wire on 23-24ga metal.

On one round tube, I relocated the threaded insert. On the other, I figured I'd try something different and went with the nuts and washers. Once in place, you can't tell the difference.

This really isn't any kind of cool project or anything, but if someone get's one new idea or understanding, then it's worth it :) It really does work sweet blocking out the overhead lights!! Anyway....

100_1837.jpg

100_1838.jpg

100_1840.jpg

100_1841.jpg

100_1842.jpg

100_1843.jpg

100_1844.jpg

100_1845.jpg

100_1846.jpg

100_1848.jpg

100_1849.jpg

100_1850.jpg

100_1851.jpg

100_1852.jpg

100_1853.jpg

100_1854.jpg

100_1855.jpg

100_1856.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mike, I would put it in the shed, easier to keep the shop clean, and with a lightbulb in the cabinet, you can see good.

There is a trick I learned a long time ago to keep the glass clear, you clean the inside glass really good, let it dry, and then carefully put several layers of cling wrap on the glass, as you are sandblasting, and it gets hard to see, open the cabinet, remove one layer of the cling wrap and your good to go again.

Thanks guys. :)

Thanks for the tip Wayno. It has a removable/replaceable sheet on the window. I found some clear vinyl a few years ago at the fabric store that works really nice. I just might try the cling wrap.....much easier to change. I may come back to this cabinet and hinge the window just so that It's easier to change the protector on the window.

The shed is cold and damp and doesn't have any power. I'd have to haul the vac out there, run a cord, run an air line. I'm planning on putting a couple of handles on it and some wheels so I can move it around more easily. But, I may also rearrange the air compressor shed and put it in there. At least I'd have an air line handy :) If I'd just quit working on old rusty/dirty parts, I wouldn't need it!!!! lol

• 10 months later...