KA trans to L20B ?

I saw some discussion on this a while back, but can't seem to find any usable information.

What is required to mount a KA to a L20B? I know it's about 34'' long vs 26 inches, but what do I need to look into other then driveshaft length?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your shifter is gonna be so far back.

orly? I'll just put in bucket seats cool.gif

Isnt it also going to be crooked, like to the right. I thought they were like Z motors.

And shifter far back? Same spot as if you swapped in the KA with the tranny...

I was hoping someone would say "put on an L series front cover" and it would fit perfect lol.

KA 5 speeds are like crack down here. People throw them away for scrap. L series 5 speeds on the other hand...

Bellhousing would have to be swapped, because of the angle the engine sits, like laecaon mentioned. This would include the nap-z motor trannies as well I believe. The KA tranny has a different mounting for the driveshaft as well, but if your already shortening a driveshaft, you can get a custom end put on. Another thing I can think of is whether the T/O bearing, flexplate, etc. would be interchangeable, I would guess not.

Look it up on hybridz, you'll need a Z 4 speed bellhousing get it machined a bit and your good to go. you might need to change the clutch disc but I can't remember for sure. The KA 5 speeds are nice trannies and a short shifter would be easier to come by and be cheaper then one for a Z tranny.

The 62mm KA counter shaft bearing would need to be removed and a 56mm 620 or 280z/zx bearing substituted that will fit the hole in the 620/280 case... or bore the case out to fit the KA bearing. If boring the case the KA cover plate must be used, if not the 620/280z cover is fine. On the inside, the case needs to be machined to clear the wider KA front counter gear. The 1st/2nd shift rod hole needs to be drilled out to 16mm from 14mm. Lot of work but really good tranny.

Look it up on hybridz, you'll need a Z 4 speed bellhousing g

Look for a 5 speed if possible. Some 4 speeds have the reverse light switch in a different position then the 5 speed. Here the 4 speed switch hole has been filled and the switch moved abut an inch forward. This can be avoided with a proper 5 speed case.

relocatereverseswitchfor5spd.jpg

I think the early D21 Hardbody 71C is quite close to the 71B. The S12 200sx and later 240sx 71C are much longer. I haven't had the pleasure of measuring either (and everyone measures them differently) additionally, they often have a metal dust shield on the back. Some include this others do not.

Totally forgot I didn't reply to this thread.

What about a 720 tranny?

http://community.rat...eed-for-a-l20b/

***Wait. You have a long one stock, right?

You rock flatcat! That actually seems like a pretty feasible idea.

All I know is that my trans measures about 26''

Well, yes, after you bore out the shaft bosses for the larger bushings/bearings/etc. It's not a direct swap.

Sucks to hear that.

I was looking more for simplicity here, since L series 5 speeds are worth their weight in gold down here (practically) I'm looking for other possible solutions. I will at the moment keep looking for L series transmissions, however the amount of info in this thread is phenomenal. I'm bookmarking this because I may be back to do this change over one day.