Monkeys jap crap: '75 Kawasaki

Consider this the official build thread for my '75 KV100 cafe racer wink.gif

Gonna be workin with Josh_T on this one, since I know nothing about 2 strokes.

6948165281_0d60f38a6c_b.jpg

Edit-1-17_6_5 by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

6948308011_d504f0099f_b.jpg

Saki by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

6802197056_9d081248f4_b.jpg

Saki by metalmonkey47, on Flickr

• Like 6
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice... Ive been thinking about getting a bike, making a classic Japanese style rat bobber out of it. Unfotunately, I know nothing about bikes and I cant weld... so Im kind of SOL until I find a friend thats knowledgable or will teach me to weld. Heres more pics if youre interested, its a local CL ad that I saw it:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/2875879030.html

My first ever motor that I built was a Honda CB175 twin. Easy motor! IT's a little different, but it's pretty cool.

Cafe racers don't require much welding skills to complete. My 175 was 75% done when i sold it and was never touched with a welder.

IMAG0937.jpg

Nice! Oh, and Dude, jap crap is not the preferred nomenclature...

:cool:

but it rhymes laugh.giflaugh.gif

Anyways, small update. Got it out of the shed! Put 12v on it and found no headlights or rear turns. I have no fuel flow to the carb, so I think the floats stuck. Also have no traceable spark even with a brand new coil on it. Clutch is locked up and need to rebuild the carb, but I think those are the only real issues,

I'll be turning this thread over to Josh_T to continue, as he will be doing the work on it since I'm no 2 stroke guy and he's very good with them.

For now, I leave you with some of my many pictures... it's up to Josh from here on laugh.gif

IMAG1266.jpg

IMAG1264.jpg

• 2 months later...

Her new resting place while I mod the shit out of her and clean her up. I want NO MORE GREASE/DIRT/ETC.

IMAG1477.jpg

Trying to decide how to tear apart the shocks without spending money on expensive tools... need to clean up some rust!

IMAG1475.jpg

This just got a lot cooler. Wire brushing the exhaust, and found this under years of spray paint, rust, and grease.

According to google, this bike was at some time used by the US Forest Service as a trail bike. not a factory spark arrestor with KV100 cast in the side at the rear.

IMAG1480.jpg

Not trying to burst your bubble but " approved by us forest service" doesn't mean it was used by them. That's just a stamp they put on offroad mufflers. When riding in state forests your muffler has to be approved ( no straight pipes) or else you can get big fines for being a fire hazard, probably for noise too. Every dirt bike I have had said that on the muffler.

Not trying to burst your bubble but " approved by us forest service" doesn't mean it was used by them. That's just a stamp they put on offroad mufflers. When riding in state forests your muffler has to be approved ( no straight pipes) or else you can get big fines for being a fire hazard, probably for noise too. Every dirt bike I have had said that on the muffler.

Yeah that caught me until I researched the factory spark arrester and patent number, and it didn't match the factory exhaust setup for the '75 KV100-A7. Stock exhaust had a KV100 ID plate welded to the case on the outside. I gotta go through some ID numbers to confirm with the chart I found on an old kawasaki ID site to confirm it's forest use.

My old CB175 had GA state trooper service stickers on the front fork, and under the seat it had a service history printed. Unfortunately, when I tried to clean off the grease, they fell apart so I have no good pictures on it :(

According to the model number/patent info, the exhaust wasn't intended for this model year bike, but it was designed and fitted to lots of Park services 'fire patrol' bikes in the mid/late 70's as well as some California models. Someone adapted it for the headpipe, because the KV100-A7 was never listed as the approved bikes. The welds on the headpipe don't look factory, but maybe they were. I don't have any clue.

Googles provided an interesting history to similar bikes.

bw-motorcycle-fire-patrol.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing your bike has given me insperation. There is an old dirt racing bike that has long been forgotten in someones back yard... With this tread and the many others on ratsun reviving old ass bikes has got me thinking...

Daddys_Caddi_by_motavated.jpg

so keep on trucking brother! Make that shit bad ass!!!!

My other inspiration..

Shane_SLBOB_01.jpg

Kawasaki green.

Or like fiesta green if you want to go metallica Metallic

Actually, fiesta green sounds pleasent!

Seeing your bike has given me insperation. There is an old dirt racing bike that has long been forgotten in someones back yard... With this tread and the many others on ratsun reviving old ass bikes has got me thinking...

Daddys_Caddi_by_motavated.jpg

so keep on trucking brother! Make that shit bad ass!!!!

My other inspiration..

Shane_SLBOB_01.jpg

Very nice sir! Get to work on what you have. I love seeing these old bikes getting pulled back together,

My biggest issue is that this is a 6v bike, so parts are gonna be tricky. If I ditch the rear fender, I loose the stock brake lights, which means I'll need a new 6V solution. I'll figure that out when I get there ;)

For now, Ive got a few pictures of recent progress.

RNDM-1-17.jpg

IMAG1513.jpg

IMAG1514.jpg