Freeway cruise speed

hobojobo

K here's the deal, I daily drive my 69 510, and drive on the freeways a lot. But the problem is that freeway speeds here are 70ish and for me to go 70 I need to be in 5th gear at around 4000 rpms. I was wondering what my options are for making freeway driving a little better... I have an l20b with a 5 speed dogleg, and what I think is an r180 rear end... but I may be wrong, Picture is not relevant but I felt bad that I havent put it on ratsun yet :PIMAG0137.jpg">

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive my daily 69 Datsun 510 wagon every day from west Beaverton to se 122nd street in ckackamas...

It's the 217s, i5s,205n

I drive about 65/70 in a 4 speed wagon. And Id say I'm running high 3's rpms

It isn't too bad and the Lseries motors can handle that pretty easy.

Mine is at 4-4500 rpms at 60ish mph, Id like to keep up with traffic better :lol:

You need to check your rear end gears. R180 is not stock, therefore it could be a myriad of different things.

Dogleg and 3.889 rear end and 185/60/14 at 70mph and I am just shy of 3500 rpm by the rpm calculators.

dogleg final gear is .864 (maybe .854...)

Slow and low is the way to go bro... Oops I rapped again sorry.

I feel you. I cruise when I'm in a car.

My cars have to be comfy, have surround sound, and I'm one of those people everyone hates to get behind cause I'll be driving 20 in a 35 and I don't give a fuck twofinger_salute.gif

But when I get on a bike I'm motherfuckin ghostrider bitch. Whats the difference between crashing at 60mph on a bike and 160mph?

Disentigration

The L series redlines at 7000rpm. 4000 rpm is just about halfway through the rpm range considering idle is about 700-800rpm.

Most other car/truck motors redline at 5000rpm so most people tend to think 4000rpm is really high but it isn't for an L series.

:)

I'm turning 2500 rpm at 60 mph. KA24DE engine and transmission with a Subaru 3.70 LSD and 205-50-15s. I can't imagine turning 4k just cruising on the freeway blink.gif

My car will hit 150 at 6k (power falls off dramatically past that) in 5th gear. I've had it up to 5600 which is like 135 mph. It's a boatload of fun having this much top end laugh.gif

K here's the deal, I daily drive my 69 510, and drive on the freeways a lot. But the problem is that freeway speeds here are 70ish and for me to go 70 I need to be in 5th gear at around 4000 rpms. I was wondering what my options are for making freeway driving a little better... I have an l20b with a 5 speed dogleg, and what I think is an r180 rear end... but I may be wrong, Picture is not relevant but I felt bad that I havent put it on ratsun yet :PIMAG0137.jpg">

Find out what differential ratio you have.

Stock 13" tires are about 23.3" tall and 4000 RPMs with a 4.625 ratio diff will give you 70 MPH

So either you have a huge differential, your speedo is whack or your tach is whack. But something does not add up.