water pump help needed

Jester

I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a water pump that has the correct fan clutch on it. I told them I needed one for a NON a/c truck with the L20 and I got one with a bolt pattern for the fan of 5 1/4 (or so) inch spread. I measured the spread on the old water pump and it measures just over 4 inches. Come to find out, someone had put an a/c water pump in a NON a/c water pump box. Is the a/c equipt trucks water pump differant? I have a new NON a/c pump that will be here Monday. Hopefully it fits.

Perhaps I have a pump and fan from a car? Are they differant? Thoughts?

Any help would be great.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This might not be of too much importance to some, but, I thought I would share my findings. The larger diameter fan clutch is for the trucks equipt with a/c and the smaller diameter is for the non a/c trucks.

My new one I got today was the right one.

Not sure how you would change the pulley. Perhaps you could take the fan clutch apart and take it off the pump to get access. I think I still have my old pump, I'll take it apart and see if the pulley can be taken off.

is there any gain from swapping the pulley to a non A/C one?

If you swap to a non clutch style, you don't have to worry about the fan clutch going out. I personally dislike fan clutches...I replaced/locked up way to many of them.

Not sure the size difference. It's an obvious difference though.

The pulley's are 4 bolt, non fan clutch pulleys. You will need a water pump without the fan clutch, earlier L series don't have the clutch so you could do a direct swap. I'm not sure of the year cut off though.

I have a 280ZX water pump for mine.

The car ones are actually larger than the truck ones.

The Z20E has taller vanes set in a deeper pump cavity, pulley is the same diameter, plastic fan blades are different diameter bolt pattern. Will fit the L20B timing cover no prob.

L20B water pump

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Lenginewaterpump.jpg[/img]"]Lenginewaterpump.jpg

Z20E water pump

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorLwaterpump.jpg[/img]"]motorLwaterpump.jpg

L and Z series clutch fans.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorLandZ20Ewaterpumps003.jpg[/img]"]motorLandZ20Ewaterpumps003.jpg

Haven't run mine yet, truck is still in pieces :P

Ryan in SD (Seattle) ran one though and if I remember right the pulley groove was about 1/4" off.

His truck ran cool, but he also had a 160 deg thermostat, an aluminum radiator out of a VW and an electric fan (no mech. fan).

Man that was a sweet truck :)

Edit: I wouldn't buy a waterpump off of ebay....I would get it from Rockauto or a local parts house to be sure I got the correct part...

damn, so im stuck with that damn clutch thing sitting on my damn pulley? what if i cut it off with my angle grinder? any problems you see with that? i went to the parts store and i ordered a 79 280ZX water pump for 25 dollars, imma install it tomorrow me thinks :D

The clutch part holds the pulley part on... it's a press fit. Just get a non-clutch pump for a L16/L18 and beg around for the pulley itself. That's what I have on my 4X4 (well, I have a flex-fan on it too, but it's still a L16 pump/pulley on a 1980 L20B). It's the 280Z/ZX pump/pulley that have the weird offset.