Sub $100 rustoleum paint job. Before and after,

sean1978

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was super simple. I didn't have the time or money to make this job complex, and the goal was to make it one color and slightly better than a rattle can. It exceeded expectations.

I removed everything I could easily (taillight, bumpers) Cleaned it really well. Used a wire brush on rust patches, sprayed rustoleum primer from a can onto bare metal rust spots, sanded the entire car with a single grit of paper (I think it was 300), and then my friend sprayed it (Had access to a booth at the time)

Total prep time was around 2 hours (that included pulling parts off)

My friend didn't want to use his nice gun on the rustoleum paint, so we used a really cheap gun (like the cheapest you can buy from a home improvement store). We thinned it with mineral spirits as per the directions on the back of the pint cans.

I used 1 pint of Safety red and 1 pint of safety yellow to make the orange color.

Rustoleum self-levels so the completed job actually was very glossy in every part that didn't have surface rust scabs. The zinc content in the rustoleum will slow the corrosion proccess significantly until hopefully someone tears her down and does a full restoration.

I sold this car about 2 years ago, just got around to making a video of the process. I have another immaculate wagon I bought from Arizona.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Hotrod guys have been doing this for years too. Some without a sprayer! They use a roller, and sand between coats. Crazy I know!

For the effort I think spraying is more effective. I looked at the time that a roller job takes and feel that if I was going to spend that much time on prep I'd just go with real paint.

In my opinion if you aren't fixing your rust properly, this is a lot better than real paint.

How long do you suppose that paintjob will hold up? pretty good for the price at any rate.

Well, the car itself will hold up a lot longer with this protective coating rather than how it would if someone spent years waiting for the budget for a perfect paint job. For this thing to be repaired properly all the paint would have to be stripped to metal anyway.

I did this paint job on a Ford pinto I owned. Did it 4 years ago. Shot it at a friends house and it is great but you have to keep it waxed... it will dull quickly... When I have more time I will write a whole posting on it if you all want.

• 2 weeks later...

15 years ago I saw a guy in East LA painting his car out in the street with a roller and house paint. I laughed back then... but now, seeing what some guys are doing with a roller and rustoleum, I am really impressed. Goes to show that it's not always about spending big bucks on your car to get decent results.