L28 into a 510???

Toyo Tech

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are smaller good fitting 4 cylinder motors that make the same or potentially more hp and you can pass the car along to another owner when you are done and it will still have an uncut firewall and stock heater in it. L28 swaps are one way street to the scrap yard or parted out.

No worries Toyo, you aren't the first one to ponder it! Hell I have seen a l24 in a 1200 (which is a much smaller Datsun) but it was a drag car. You'd need a pretty big can opener!

Eh...just a shot in the dark. I'm still kinda new. Have mercy! I want to try and stick with as close to stock as I can...since the car is nearly all original, but the 3speed Auto has got to go.

Well there are two L series engines that came after the L16. The L18 and the L20B. They both look just like the L16 and at a glance are identical. The L20B has about 15-20 more hp and lots more low speed torque... and this is what throws you back in the seat.

If willing to build one you can use the block from the next Z series 4 cylinder motor and put an L series head on it ad convert into a LZ22 or LZ24. Again they look just like the L16. Next is mixing L and Z internal parts like rods and pistons to make a Frankenstein LZ motor.

Transplants are another option. A later large displacement EFI motor from a 240sx? Or an import JDM motor?

I'm still kinda new. Have mercy!

Geeeez, that was merciful.

I want to try and stick with as close to stock as I can...since the car is nearly all original...

The L28 is getting pretty far away from stock. The L18 and L20B... well you can't get any closer than these two. They are 4 cylinder, look identical and make more power.

... but the 3speed Auto has got to go.

Well a 5 speed dogleg from a later 200sx would keep it Datsun still.

as much as everyone keeps saying no dont do the L6 conversion they cant say they didnt see this video and say thats bad ass! its an old school conversion. this car has a L6 as well. do what ever your heard desires. if there is an engine, someone tried to put it in a 510

Looks like my 510 ...sort of.. :D