Considering a 4.3 v6 swap, seeking ideas/opinions

spudly13

So, as the title says, im considering either a 2.8 or 4.3 liter v6 swap into my 71 4dr 510 sedan. I have a brand new T5 + racing clutch, and i know the obvious problems, steering, suspension, mounting, driveshaft, but am curious if anyone has any links to others that have been done or any other problems you think ill run into, even through in your personal opinion. Its just an idea at the moment so hopefully no one gets offended at the thought of a chevy engine in a datsun! (although my current build is a 260z and an ls1)

Let me know what you think

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4.3 is almost as heavy as a 5.7 and takes the same amount of work, yet is far less power and is vibrating more and doesnt sound as good.

2.8 is a 60-degree V6, much much better V6 than the 90-degree. Although it's heavy for the measly 102 to 125 HP. A nissan four-cylinder KA24E will deliver much more HP than that.

4.3 is almost as heavy as a 5.7 and takes the same amount of work, yet is far less power and is vibrating more and doesnt sound as good.

2.8 is a 60-degree V6, much much better V6 than the 90-degree. Although it's heavy for the measly 102 to 125 HP. A nissan four-cylinder KA24E will deliver much more HP than that.

But in theory a 4.3 should be a few inches shorter? thats what steered me away from any v8, it simply wont fit in a stock enginebay, a 4.3 may weigh close to the same but with simple bolt ons and a 4 barrel carb it can produce 220 no problem,

Wiring and fuel injection confuse me a little, thats what scares me away from ka and sr motors....well that and cost

2.8's are notorious for breaking crankshafts. Small block v8's fit in Porsche 914's in the stock mid engine location. Very small space. You have to move the water pump off to the side, and wedge it in there, but it works. Anything is possible, Is it a good idea?

I wouldn't cut up a 510 myself, but their increasing rarity, and price tag doesn't seem to be slowing anyone else down. My 02

Tell that to the dozens of guys that have done it. They move the radiator.

'

i dont deny it can be done, but an lt1 i have sitting in the shop measures roughly 28inches from back of engine to front of waterpump, plus an inch or two for the big bell housing. engine bay minus radiator measures roughly 30 inches if you re locate everything on the firewall.

Just a little tight for the what im looking to do with it :)

But in theory a 4.3 should be a few inches shorter? thats what steered me away from any v8, it simply wont fit in a stock enginebay, a 4.3 may weigh close to the same but with simple bolt ons and a 4 barrel carb it can produce 220 no problem,

Wiring and fuel injection confuse me a little, thats what scares me away from ka and sr motors....well that and cost

About 5" shorter, 120-140 #'s less ( around 4-450#'s), depending on peripherals~ intake, exhaust, etc...

I don't think I would use either, myself. Have you considered a Series II 3800 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_V6_engine from a 90's Camaro/Firebird?

Closer in size and weight to the 2.8 but more overall power than the 4.3. It's a tight fit but easier than a 4.3 or a V8. The 4.3 is a truck engine IMHO and wouldn't really have the "sporty" feel of the smaller V6s or a 4cyl. I'm sure with some searching around you might find a completed swap as a guide. I remember watching this http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11094&hilit=gm+3800 build but it appears to have stalled - like most ambitious engine swaps.

Please, whatever you decide to swap in, see it through to the end. An underpowered, stock, drivable 510 is still fun. A hacked up, unfinished project in your garage is not. Really, the smart money is probably on a well documented swap like a VG or a KA. There are kits available and the Can-Am box helps simplify the wiring. Also keep in mind that a street driven 510 doesn't need that much power. Mine is in the 160hp/tq range and it's just about perfect. A 300hp engine in a 510 is more about bragging rights than anything else. I can tell you that doing an "odd swap" is more expensive and takes much longer because I've been down that road myself. I'm happy with my results but I can't deny that a Nissan swap is cheaper and easier.

I dont want to see another incomplete 510 project.

Shawn just sold his. 3-4 years of awhole lot of nothing. car might have been on road 6 months.

Buy somebodys project if you car is a driver already and save that one.

A guy with a 510 Im helping him out on came over last night. Said hes going to do this and that. Then I ask him to ck for voltage on the temp sender wire . he dont know how to use a Volt meter and doesnt own one. He isnt going to do a KA /SR swap anythime soon!!!!!!!!

I don't think I would use either, myself. Have you considered a Series II 3800 http://en.wikipedia....Buick_V6_engine from a 90's Camaro/Firebird?

Closer in size and weight to the 2.8 but more overall power than the 4.3. It's a tight fit but easier than a 4.3 or a V8. The 4.3 is a truck engine IMHO and wouldn't really have the "sporty" feel of the smaller V6s or a 4cyl. I'm sure with some searching around you might find a completed swap as a guide. I remember watching this http://www.the510rea...4&hilit=gm+3800 build but it appears to have stalled - like most ambitious engine swaps.

Please, whatever you decide to swap in, see it through to the end. An underpowered, stock, drivable 510 is still fun. A hacked up, unfinished project in your garage is not. Really, the smart money is probably on a well documented swap like a VG or a KA. There are kits available and the Can-Am box helps simplify the wiring. Also keep in mind that a street driven 510 doesn't need that much power. Mine is in the 160hp/tq range and it's just about perfect. A 300hp engine in a 510 is more about bragging rights than anything else. I can tell you that doing an "odd swap" is more expensive and takes much longer because I've been down that road myself. I'm happy with my results but I can't deny that a Nissan swap is cheaper and easier.

To bad that build stalled out, would have been interesting to see how it worked.

I havent considered a 3800 but am going to look into it a little now that you mention it!

I was pushing right around 150 with a boosted l20, and for a dd it was about right, a little more would have been nice.