A conundrum solved

Z-train

A while back i replaced the instrument light bulbs with L.E.Ds.While i was there,i did the high beam indicator & alternator bulbs.After that,the alternator light would stay on untill i revved it above 1500 rpm.And while at freeway speeds at night i could see the light(alt)flickering.So i changed back to the 161 bulb and all is normal again-no issues.

Go figure.... :hmm:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

diodes job is to let voltage one way right? charge light gets 12v power from ignition switch and ground from alternator. whith the engine running alternator sends poewr back. now the bulb is getting power on both sides casing the light to go off. wont an led affect that whole design be cause it lets current one way but not the other. causing charging issues?

• 1 month later...

Just did this myself and had a similar issue... couldn't figure out why the alternator wouldn’t charge until I jumped (momentarily) the white black signal wire to a 12v source at the alternator. I saw this thread and gave changing the bulb back a try and whala, it worked. I guess we don’t get to use an led for the charge light? :confused: Funny thing is I still had to set the idle at about 800 for it to work even with the standard bulb. Hmmm, now that I think about it might not be a factory 161 bulb, are these things that sensitive? If the bulb burns out does the charging system stop working?

Thanks

Joel

If the alternator light burns out, then it'll be hit-and-miss if the charging system will function. Sometimes the auto-choke relay (if connected) is enough to get the alternator field started. Sometimes the alternator can build its own field. My Chevy had a bad bulb and the charging system would start working if I revved the hell out of it. Change bulb, problem solved.

If you want to run an LED, here's an idea. In addition to the diode, run a 70Ω resistor in PARALLEL with the LED (not in series). It will need to be at least a 3 Watt resistor.