First time going to a Pick N Pull

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what I always do. Make sure to write down the row number.

PnP here is $2 admission. Tools allowed.

I have a JY here in town that will let you go into the yard to inspect the part, but the staff pulls the parts. They only have 90 and newer though.

You have my attention. Any more information? PnP never seems to have newer vehicles worth a damn. How much are parts compared to PnP?

On your First trip to a wrecking yard, you may not want to steal from them. The $2 entrance fee does not cover small parts you stick in your pocket.

I pulled a ton of relays and fuses one day. On my way out, I asked them how much for the pieces.

"$1 for 20 fuses.... and... ouch... $5 PER relay."

"God damn!"

"No kidding right? Never could figure out why they're so expensive."

"Okay *fishes around the bag, pulls out about three dozen relays* Here ya go, I picked you some relays for free I guess. Happy Newton Day!"

"No you didn't *marks a bunch of my other items as scrap metal and gives me a big grin* Honesty is rewarded."

"Woot!"

Hardwyre, you never been to a regular auto wreckers, but on the u-pull places? Unbelievable. The regular places charge some abitrary amount, sometimes cheap sometimes not. And some allow you to pull the parts, but all regular yards will do it for you. Unless they don't feel like it. Then they'll say they don't have it.

Visit a lot of yards and you'll find out that Pick-n-Pull is way better than most.

Hardwyre, you never been to a regular auto wreckers, but on the u-pull places? Unbelievable. The regular places charge some abitrary amount, sometimes cheap sometimes not. And some allow you to pull the parts, but all regular yards will do it for you. Unless they don't feel like it. Then they'll say they don't have it.

Visit a lot of yards and you'll find out that Pick-n-Pull is way better than most.

I've drove by a couple, but PnP has always been my go-to since they're just up the street. I just wish LS1 engines would show up there. :)

I just walk threw every row regardless.... cuz you never know what youll find :lol:

Agreed. Some of my best deals are when I'm not expecting it or totally in the wrong place. There's the odd good deal here on Ratsun if someone doesn't know what they are selling. This is why I always ask for pictures.

I have at least a hand full of nuts/bolts/screws in my tool box at any time. Why wouldn't I???

Some thoughts on pilfering of filching.

Sounds better than stealing and generally the definition of both is to steal, but to pilfer is to "To steal (a small amount or item). To filch is " To take (something, especially something of little value) in a furtive manner. Call it what you will. I think most yards would say it (nuts and bolts) is of little value, generally. Everything is worth something and does belong to someone else.

Say you get stopped and asked what's in your pocket? Well first of all it's none of their business what's on your person specially if in pocket and out of sight. However that bulge is mighty suspicious and they may rightly believe you have something of theirs. They can't search you but they could detain you until the police come and ask you pretty much the same thing. Before that happens try explaining that anything in your pocket was yours when you walked in. I don't think it would be a good idea to show or tell them because now they can tell the cop that you do indeed have a car part whereas if unseen they only have a suspicion. Now lets say the police are called and ask you to empty your pockets. Tell him the same thing, anything you might have have is yours and it's your right to refuse a search. Since the owner can't describe what's missing nor what you have nor if it's his at all I don't think the cop will have grounds to detain or search you. Ask to leave.

Don't do this again

A flossing cat ! ! ! !

Seriously, look for: The plastic screw on door lock pulls and EASILY remove the plastic rings that pop into the top of the door that they go through, dome light covers, fuse box covers, stock jack and handles plus the long red rod, the screws that hold in the taillight lenses, the fender clips that the side marker light screws go through, the 5 plastic retainers that the cowl sets in place under the windshield, any STOCK radio knobs, brake light switches that are on the brake pedal inside the cab, clips that hold the heater face onto the box, owners manuels and anything interesting in the glove box, tailgate handles ONLY if they are mint or close to mint, STOCK gas cap (YES, I have found 2 so far!!!), stock lugnuts (Do You need any lugs??), STOCK radiator cap for show display, STOCK blue distributor cap for display, THROTTLE CABLE ( A MUST if it is in good shape), 620 hubcaps, and finally ANY AND ALL BUBBLE WINDOWS ! ! !

Plastic parts don't rattle or can not be detected.

Happy hunting!!!!!!!

Rain has once again put a damper on my plans. <_<

Looks like rain tomorrow too, so I guess I'll have to wait until Monday. :(

Hey Texas, are you kidding me, the rain isn't gonna stop me from going to the junkyard tomorrow.

...seems like I had some kind of interesting old man story about junkyards, but it slips my old man mind...