j13/15 water pump issue

burrito213

Well, I dont know if it is an issue but I was bolting up my new water pump from rock auto and then realized the fan mount is too far out. So I went to my spare engine, removed the water pump and it fit fine. Only thing is the new water pump has been refurbished and the old one needs to be refurbished or if anything, cleaned up reallly good. Problem now is, thanks to the rust, I stripped the screws off the water pump that needs cleaning so i was wondering if I can just use a gear puller to swap the fan mount from one to another?

Being that, I haven't pulled gears or anyting for quite some time. I am willing to do the work if pulling the mount is what I need to do and it isn't difficult. If I need to get special tools that you may have would you be willing to help me?... I will mail both water pumps to get the swap done.

I am getting so close with this build but set backs have kinda f**d me.

Any advice, help, critisism?

Sorry for all the grammar errors. Using phone to post. Here are pics:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

big difference though right?.... lol

*damn dry.gif ... i stock piled this part so it has been a while since i purchased it. left it on the shelf till i needed it.

I was thinking even if the fan cleared the radiator, the water pump pulley would not line up with the lower crank pulley, so it still wouldn't work, which sucks. What is wrong with the original pump?

Returning is the best bet. You can pull the fan hub with a gear puller, but you really need a good hydraulic press and the good luck not to have messed up the hub inner diameter when you pulled the old one in order to press the replacement hub on. It is designed to be a force fit. I have done exactly this in order to modify R1600 roadster water pumps to fit me RL411 engine.

If you can't return for some reason and have adequate clearance between the hub and your radiator a junk yard cruise for Ford Pinto or Chevy V8 upper pulleys might get you a pulley with enough offset to align your fan belt. Pulleys with 2 or 3 belt grooves usually will align one with your existing crankshaft and alternator pulleys some shimming regretably may be involved. Good luck, happy hunting if it comes to that.

Those pumps aren`t impossible to find ( hard ) but not impossible..My friend got a couple of those back in April for his J13(s) in his 520 and 411. The place he bought them at were more of a local store with only 4 stores total, so just hound parts guys till they get you one .. Both pumps have been installed and work fine...((( My friend has NO computer at all )))

The link to his new pumps,,,notice pump aren`t exactly the same and even though same company there`s more numbers on one of the boxes ,,

http://community.rat...mps-for-ma-boy/

• 1 month later...