pants' 78 Datsun 510 wagon

pants

Hello everyone, this is my first datsun and I'm in love! I bought this a few months ago, I'm the third owner and it only has 98k miles. I know this one is the unpopular 510, but I dont see anything wrong with it. The first owner was a little old man who loved customizing, lets take a look at his handy work.

tumblr_lu3z8p5OXW1qzhnnwo1_500.jpg

The day I bought it. 1200 dollars, what a steal. As you can see it has a hood scoop (that actually goes through) and a visor. I wasnt big on the visor at first, but now I like the look.

0209121218-00.jpg

A sunroof, a welcome addition and done well.

HNI_0042_MPO.jpg

Diamond plate on the sills. Not so sure about this, a little afraid of what could be under those. Makes me want to fit a side exhaust a little.

0209121218-01.jpg

What's this? A really large patch? What could that be for?

0209121215-00.jpg

And a hole in the interior? The first owner installed a swamp cooler on the top. A SWAMP COOLER. Even though it has a fully functional AC! What a crazy man. On to more interior.

0209121216-00.jpg

Super bling e-brake handle. At least it works.

0209121214-00.jpg

Fly stereo install. Single tweeter for maximum audio fidelity . And thats the general overview.

However, a few weeks ago there was a crack in the radiator that had been patched at one point. I hit a bump a little harder than expected and it opened back up. I wanted to fix it for real so I hunted all over for a replacement. After three companies accepting my order and then refunding because they didnt have it it was decided to go for a better replacement. I found an all aluminum one on ebay and grabbed it quick. Sadly when it came it was for the original 510. I was sick of riding the bus so I said screw it and brought it into my welding class at school. A couple hours and some new mounting tabs later and it was great.

0121121357-00.jpg

booo broken rusty radiator

0124121119-00.jpg

yay shiny bigger radiator

I had to guess where the holes went because i didnt have the car at school, so the bottom two tabs dont fit. However with only the two bolts on top its held in tight as can be.

There are some more plans in the works for it currently, such as

• new front seats. mine are very broken and uncomfortable. any suggestions?
  • more lower/tighten up. sometimes its like i'm driving a boat around because of the body roll
  • some sort of ram air setup with the hood scoop. Gotta put that thing to use

And thats my ridiculously long intro post/start of project thread! All of the cars on here are amazing and have given me so many ideas.

• Like 1
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

78-79 redheaded stepchild 510 section.

FTW

Wide........like an old bug??

78-81*

Stanza or no Stanza it's still a Datsun with 510 on the side of it wink.gif

Tried to buy one a couple days ago.

Last wagon we had was an 80 510 and it was awesome (slow as shit but still awesome)

Canvas sliding top? On personal experience, wouldn't recommend. Too easy to slice open and steal whatever goodies are inside.

Though I do have a design for a goon I was gonna buy and cut the roof out and replace with a canvas top. I want a 4 door wagon BUT need a truck. Slide the top up and it'll haul a fridge laugh.gif

Put another sunroof where that hole is. Bitches love sunroofs.

Indeed they do!

I Second the bubble top idea. Just the rear, leave the front sunroof.

If it was me, I'd get a really cool stained glass piece made for the back. You can even just get a plate of glass and use stained glass imitation paints.

'90s Honda seats are an easy fit (usually have flat mounts). Late 90s Maxima power leather seats are luxurious and easy to fit.

I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to check it out, thanks for the tip. I'm wondering if an older supra/celica seat would fit, because those are great.

Put another sunroof where that hole is. Bitches love sunroofs.

Hell yes, I should just make the whole roof a sunroof.

Wait that would actually be awesome, shit.

Indeed they do!

I Second the bubble top idea. Just the rear, leave the front sunroof.

If it was me, I'd get a really cool stained glass piece made for the back. You can even just get a plate of glass and use stained glass imitation paints.

Its currently riveted and sealed on, so it might be a pain to get off. But that would look sweet in the daytime. Maybe a nice rising sun?

I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow to check it out, thanks for the tip. I'm wondering if an older supra/celica seat would fit, because those are great.

Mainly just keep your eyes out for seats with "flat" brackets, meaning once unbolted it sits level on the floor. When all the legs are different lengths (most late model Nissans), it can be a bitch to fit them in an older car.

Rag top slider would be dope. :cool:

750cc7d9_5501.jpeg

Though I do have a design for a goon I was gonna buy and cut the roof out and replace with a canvas top. I want a 4 door wagon BUT need a truck. Slide the top up and it'll haul a fridge laugh.gif

mellow.gif

Oh come on man! I DON'T EVEN HAVE A GOON YET!twofinger_salute.gif

Here`s my 16 year old sons..The blue ones the one getting fixed, green one is smassssshed in the front..

P

datsun521026.jpg

Elmers wagon nearest camera

datsun522.jpg

not sure what Dave and my son were thinking with the frickin rags..Weirdos of a feather i guess

Just say no to the square bulb..round eye wagon masters rule..laugh.gif

Here`s my 16 year old sons..The blue ones the one getting fixed, green one is smassssshed in the front..

Elmers wagon nearest camera

datsun522.jpg

not sure what Dave and my son were thinking with the frickin rags..Weirdos of a feather i guess

Just say no to the square bulb..round eye wagon masters rule..laugh.gif

Oh nice! Now I know who to ask for parts when something breaks.:D

I was initially going to recommend doing just a whole glass top but that would get pricey quickly methinks. Would look tits though.

No luck on the seats at pick n pull today. There was a 80 510 so I spent a good two hours trying every seat I could find in there. All the maxima ones were waaaay too big and the civics smelled like cigarettes from five feet away. However I DID find a used tampon and a nest of bees. They weren't comfortable at all.

So now I guess its time to find some sort of after market seat that will work? Maybe some sort of knockoff seat that I can mount the old rails to.