pants' 78 Datsun 510 wagon

pants

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also could the electric choke be fucking up and flooding it? Are there multiple fuel filters? the only one I could find while poking around was on the passenger firewall. I assume the car doesnt need to be running to check the fuel squirt down the top of the carb

Before buying any parts borrow or buy a fuel pressure gauge,and check just before carb, also take the filter all the way off and blow backwards into a clear glass ( to see if there`s any water or other crap in system ) and see if that helps any..

If engine is warmed ,,hot,,engine off,, take off air cleaner if the blades are straight-ish up and down not shut then that is not the problem...While you got air cleaner off look down barrel of carb and pump throttle there should be a small stream of gas..use flashlight if needed..

Make sure while it`s running the gas level is real close to the mark on site glass on front of carb.( Hitachi carb ) . to high something might be in float needle ,,,,,to low starving for gas..The level doesn`t have to be exactly level with he mark just real close,,

I finally had some spare time away from schoolwork this weekend, so it was time to work on the car. Turns out, it was none of these problems!

I had decided to replace the fuel filter, because it was old and nasty and while rooting around in there I noticed a set of wires sitting very close to one of the pulleys. When I replaced the radiator the little fuse block going to the distributor got moved and the wires were ziptied out of the way, but apparently it had had enough and moved on to greener pastures. After inspecting the wires I found this:

wires.jpg

WELL THAT MIGHT MESS THINGS UP A LITTLE BIT. the wires had been bouncing off the spinning pulley for who knows how long and it finally wore through the wire sheath and the insulation. So I cut out the old cut up parts and soldered in some new bits (the wire was a bit thick but it should be fine), wrapped it all in some conduit stuff, and now its fantastic! It actually runs better than it did before, which isnt surprising

thumbsup.jpg

A successful saturday morning, even if soldering it was the most uncomfortable thing ever.

• 7 months later...