Alternator possibly pooped.

Well I do believe my alternator crapped the bed. I'm not sure though. if I try to turn on anything electrical ie. lights, radio, etc. the truck misses real bad and tries to die. I couldn't tell if my compressor was running or not, so I shut the truck off, and it wouldn't start after that. Once I threw the cables on it fired right up and I drove it home. As soon as i shut it off though, it wouldn't restart. Any thoughts?

Here is a little precursor that I had posted in a previous thread.

The "IGN" light on my dash will not go off. It didn't start this until after I pulled the dash apart this weekend. I doubt that has anything to do with it, but it just seemed odd. Driving home last night my head lights were considerably dimmer than usual as well as the dash lights and dome light. I am running a 90 amp Saturn Alternator, and I bypassed the ext Reg. Is it possible My alternator is going out? If so that sucks butt, it is only 6 months old. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am Electric dumb.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your diag is correct. Another test: just start it and once running, disconnect the batt and see if it dies.

Could also be wiring. The the alt a reman, new or wrecking pull? I'd take it out and have it tested.

-Brian

Nice 521 btw. Got any more pics?

just start it and once running, disconnect the batt and see if it dies.

The the alt a reman, new or wrecking pull?

Nice 521 btw. Got any more pics?

It will not stay running if I disconnect the battery, but that is not because of a bad alternator. It wouldn't do it when this alternator was brand new which is the answer to question #2. It was bought new in December.

Thank you for the comment on the truck.

100_0777.jpg

100_0776.jpg

IMG00015.jpg

100_0775.jpg

2eDeYe;53072']Sounds like a bad battery to me.

Do you have a volt meter? If not pop the alt off and run to the nearest parts store and have it tested. Battery too.

Yes I have a multimeter, just haven't really had the time to mess withit. It finally called it quits on my way to work yesterday afternoon. I didn't get off work until 1:30 this morning, and now I'm packing to go to Kansas City for a week or so. The alternator is under warranty, the battery should be also, just gotta find the info for it.

I bought a "new" [remanufactured] alternator once that was bad out of the box & didnt know it. Have them both tested & go from there. Could this also be a voltage regulator issue?

Internal regulated saturn alt. ;)

If you drove home and the lights were dim then no charge was getting to the battery. This is not to say the battery OR the alternator is at fault. Basically you were running on whatever voltage was left in the dying battery.

Check the alternator connector plug for tight firm connections. The alternator output from the A terminal (don't know the Saturn arrangement) should go to the + battery terminal. Check the alternator and the + battery end are clean and well connected. If there is a fusible link from the alternator to the battery (couldn't find it on the 521 diagram) check that it is good. If there is a ground wire from the alternator make sure it has a good connection to the engine block.

If this doesn't fix it, check any wires you connected to make the Saturn alt. work in the 521. I doubt it's the - terminal as you have start (with boost) and lights etc. so power is flowing.