same as any other L motor

what kind of question is this?

If you got a 510 that can do 90 for 20mins I would call it good.

Whats the gear ratio?

whats the trans? 4 or 5 speed

whats the carbs? single Dual? SUs ,webers, Turbo?

can car even go up to 75 without shaking apart??????

:hairy: Ive had Ol' Shakey ( my truck) up to 85 and it seemed to be ok... course I only didit fer lessna minute. That's with a DFV weber not adjusted at all properly and no smog stuff but a buncha vacume leaks where the smog stuff was. oh yeah a matchbox dizzy from pic'npull with a leaky real wheel seal and brakes that I gotta pump to the floor thrice before i stop on a dry day at 45 MPH.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

l16 w53 head weber and electronic dist with 4 speed I do 70mph at 4k and 80mph at 5k all day long everyday.

l16 stock with hitachi carb and pollution control I can do 70mph easy but it takes a while to get up to speed. I'm sure it goes faster I just haven't pushed it that hard.

This is in my trucks mind you.

Wrong, just got off the freeway and it was 68mph at 4k and 80mph at 4.6k

whats the top speed(hp) on a modded l16 engine (racing l16 engine)????

it has a 4 speed trans and 32/36 weber

On a really good day an L16 makes about 60 hp

L16_dyno-1.gif

An L16SSS (probably dual SUs) makes about 76 hp. (no chart)

An L18 makes about 66-70 hp

klink50-stock-L18.gif

L18 with dual SUs makes about 75-80 hp.

l18-510-wagon-dbeatty.gif

Take your pick, it will be somewhere between 60 and 70 hp and is rear wheel hp. For gross hp add about 17%

Top Speed. I imagine an L16 with Weber should be able to go close to 90 mph. My 710 sedan with L18 automatic will go 90.

Top Speed Modified Well if a stock L16 goes 90 MPH then to double the top speed you will need at least 4 times as much power. So 250 hp should get you to 180 or so.

I just did some a simplified problem to figure out what the drag limited speed of an unmodified 510 was. There were many assumptions, and a few simplifications. Here are a few:

Coefficient of drag: 0.49

Frontal area: 18.7 ft^2

Temp: 15degC

Air pressure: 1 atm

Based on the above, and the equation for aerodynamic drag, I had the amount of force it would take to push a 510 through normal sea level air (with a few assumptions, and probably bad data)

Fd=1/2<roh>*V^2*Cd*Af

Fd=.5*1.225*V^2*0.49*1.74 (everything is in SI)

This outputs a drag force for a velocity.

Torque: 70lb-ft (based on the dyno graph of a stock L16 that Mike posted, it looks like an L16 is above 70lb-ft for a very large portion of it's rpm band, but maybe 60 would have been a better number to use, so I'll do that to.

Tire rolling radius: 10.94" (roughly stock)

These numbers allowed me to figure out a force that 510 can push itself forward with (again, with a bunch of error).

The result is that I suspect a 510 is drag limited to just over 104mph stock. But again, I highly doubt this is at all accurate.

To do this though, the L16 would be turning 6250rpm, and as we saw from the graph Mike posted, an L16 doesn't make 60lb-ft at 6250rpm. But, I don't actually feel like re-computing right now.

I love this.

"modded l16 engine (racing l16 engine)"

"it has a 4 speed trans and 32/36 weber"

Otherwords, a stock L16 with a Weber on it.

UNLESS he means (and I doubt it) that he's using a 38/38 or dual DCOE's.

On another note, I got my 620 up around 80 the other day with a 4 speed and L20B.

Edited by metalmonkey47