Rear end vibration

NCLNDYM

I have a 72 54dr 10 all stock. Couple weeks ago my rear starting vibrating around 80mph and would go away about 82. The vibration would also occur when slowing down at same speed but in reverse from 82 to 80 then go away. Now it's happening when i slow down around 35 or so.. I looked under the rear and have no fluid leaking or grease from anywhere. Thinking it may be my wheels, I had them rebalanced and its still vibrating. What could be the problem...If the bearings in the rear are going out how can i check it. Or can it be the U-joints. I just don't see any signs of something bad.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, you can't tell by shaking it.

This is often a problem when lowering the car as it puts the u-joints at a higher angle (which is not bad, but will make a problem more noticeable).

To test them you go by rotation and turning force:

Rotate them back and forth and round 360 degrees by hand. They should be:

* Not loose, but have a slight drag

* Absolutely smooth with no clicks or binding spots

If they are really bad you can tell without disassembling. Block the wheels, put in nuetral and grab each shaft and flange and see if you can move the joint rotation-wise. Good u-joints won't let the part move.

What kind of damage?

The drum can heat crack and pieces come off. Some have small weights spot welded on for balance. Anything that is spinning can be a cause of vibration.

I had an old drum brake Pontiac. One night there was a big bang and it started shaking. I thought I blew a tire but when I slowed down it went away (didn't have a spare so closer to home I got the better) Next day couldn't find anything wrong. Drove it for a whole summer with a shimmy at 50. One day did get a flat and when the tire and rim were removed, there was a huge piece of the drum missing. Put one from a parts car on, vibration gone.

As ggzilla pointed out, slightly worn ujoints are near impossible to troubleshoot without a very close inspection...usually a tear down. If the joint is bad enough that you can see it by rotating the wheel by hand then you got lucky it hasn't come apart yet.

Start with the easier areas....rotate wheels, check the spacers and drums and give it a spin. If the vib continues in the same fashion I highly recommend pulling the half shafts and replacing the joints...not terribly expensive to do before a major failure occurs. While you are under there, check the drive shaft and diff for missing weights, loose bolts. How old are the ujoints on the drive train?

All the joints are original, limping this along to i get my daily driver back, now have a whining noise when getting on freeway looping on ramps. I think I'm gonna by new rear u joints tomorrow, already picked up one for drive shaft ones.

I've looked at everything and it all looks good. I haven't shook the drive shaft or the rear shafts yet. The whining i heard for the first time today. I'm getting ready to put my new tranny in soon. Since I have it out I'll swap the new u-joints. If the tranny is causing all the noise then I have that covered. Gonna be parking her for a while I guess.