520 rear end 4.88 gear set wanted

Like the title says, i need the complete center section from a 520 rear end. I'm told if you have a J13 engine in your 520 truck, then you have the 4.88 gears. I'm told that the gears in a 320 are also 4.88 so those will work too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just now thought of something I didn't think of before, I have a pulled apart 488 gearset case that is missing the side gears and I actually don't know where the ring gear was positioned on the sidegear cage anymore, but all the parts are there, I even have the 520 threw 720 sidegears, but don't want to put it together, as I won't use it. The ring and pinion are intacked, but the side bearings have been laying on the floor in my garage, so they would need to be cleaned real good. Is this something you would be interested in?

I sent him a PM with these photos guys, after I took photos of the 3rd member, while I was screening them I noticed rust, the photos make it really stand out, is this ring gear toast?, it doesn't look deep, but what do I know.

I am unsure if this happened over the couple months it sat outside, or if it happened over years of sitting in one place unused.

What do you guys think?

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

DSCN0663.jpg

DSCN0659.jpg

DSCN0656.jpg

DSCN0666.jpg

Spray it down with some WD40, and hit it with some fine scotchbrite. See what it looks like after that. Look for speckling.

The 4.37 I just took out of my 521 had some surface rust on it from sitting before I put it in. I cleaned it up and ran it hard. It looks about the same as before. I woildn't drive it to Florida, But if it's all you have, It's worth a try.

If Dirt track doesn't want it, dont scap it. I can always use a backup..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.