Opinions: 521 on PO craigslist

I called the guy and he told me the story the truck has been under a tarp in a barn... they want it gone... He wants 900.00 and wants you to drive to look at it before you make an offer... I emailed him a 300.00 offer last nite after thinking it over...

http://portland.craigslist.org/nco/car/638458943.html

Is the seller asking to much to get it sold or is the buyer just complaining to much....?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys it sounds like this guy doesn't know what he has in his barn besides the badging on the truck (Datsun) so he just describes it as such so don't assume he is a Datsun freak like us and knows the ins/outs of the rig.

Also as a seller I too don't like to bend over backwards for sellers...I did that on more than one occasion only to get burned so now I too don't hold things for people that say they're coming or whatever. It kinds of seems like you want him to give this to you in a silver platter.

As an example look at my friend Mark, he wanted to get a wagon so lucky for him I was close enough to look at it for him and he took my advice and flew from San Diego to San Jose to come pick up a sight unseen vehicle (to him) and it all worked out fine.

One last note, if I was selling something for $900 and got a $300 offer I wouldn't even bother replying to tell you to f*ck off with that offer...so if this guy does something similiar don't be all shocked or surprised. If he's asking way too much for this thing he'll soon realize it but there maybe someone who's nearby that will look at it and if it's in good condition besides it not being started in a long time, they may end up with a good deal.

We all know cash talks and bs walks. Anyway just my 2 cents.

Personally, I think $300 is a bit low, especially since you haven't seen it. Besides, you're lucky it's only a two hour drive... both of my 521's have been day-long ventures. Call the guy, talk to him, and ask all the important questions. Does it run, did it run, is there any rust, is it complete? If he has the answers and he's ready to share, then he probably knows enough about it to have some idea about the worth. If he can't answer any of the questions, then he probably just wants to get rid of it. Either way, find $900, drive out, and take a look. If it's good, offer him $700 or so. If you're not too into it, then tell him you're willing to pay $400 or $500, and let him decide. Even if you don't get it now, he might always call you back in a couple weeks to take your offer.

If you're supposed to have it, it'll work out somehow that both you and he will be happy. If not, or if you're only willing to dish out $300 on another Datsun, then you should probably start looking for something more in that range.

On another related point, what do people generally think is an acceptable buying/selling price? I tend to think about 10% below asking is reasonable... anyone else?

On another related point, what do people generally think is an acceptable buying/selling price? I tend to think about 10% below asking is reasonable... anyone else?

That's like asking if girls are pretty. Some are worthy of the compliment others may not be. Some prices are worthy of what they are some times people think their shit is golden. You need to think reasonably here. Would you accept $300 or $400 for a truck that is worth the $900 you want? Offer what YOU think it's worth to you, not what you want to steal it for.

Hell, pull out 7 Franklin's and ask him if you can call it yours. If he says no, KINDLY give him your number and tell him to call you if he changes his mind.

I agree with the comments above. Asking him to drop that low when hes just posted the ad isn't the greatest way to pick up a truck. If you want a truck for less just wait till something comes up closer to your price range. If anything show up with 700 and tell him you don't have a lot to spend on a truck but you like what he has there and see if he would be willing to take less. Offer $650 and see if he counters near $700. Dunno. looks pretty nice but could be a junker...

2cv's are suprisingly common in oregon. Dunno why. Maybe a Citroen ship crashed on the coast and they all washed ashore. :rolleyes:

ask him to take more pics. interior and engine. i dont know how fast your driving but i'm sure thats more than 2 hours from you. there has got to be a ratsun member around beaverton that could look at it for you and possibly take pics before you drive down. being that it has the j13 i doubt it will sell for anything close to $300. you would need to relocate the motor mounts just to do an l series upgrade. unless of coarse it's minty enough to leave stock with a good running non smoking non ticking j13.

possibly all 4 hubcaps and seeing the antenna it may have the original radio but that one pic doesnt say shit. need more pics or a ratsun member to look it over.

who's close to beaverton? someone go check this out.

This is the problem with allot of sellers out there. It seems to me that if your going to take one pic then take a few, one of each side, engine, interior, I think that is what the potential buyer is disliking here. On the other hand I really hate people that offer over the phone...they can lick my balls if they offer me money before they see my sale......how in the hell are you supposed to determine a value if you haven't even seen it???? What if its a total turd? 10% are you mad, I say 12%:blink:. Guys its simple, I have paid full asking price and didnt even test drive, I have dropped the price significantly, and some of the time I never purchased what I was looking at.

Lol, Robato, you're probably right...

About the whole lowering the price deal, I agree with what was said about paying what you think it's worth. If I'm really interested in something, I'll pay full price, no questions asked. Otherwise, I'll see if the person will drop the price. I suppose if I don't think something is worth 10% below asking price, I won't buy it. Mind you, that's just an estimation. What I won't do is make a really lowball offer, even if I think that's what it's worth. There has to be some reason the seller decided it was worth that much.

Yeah you're right I would have patted you on the back but now knowing a person is asking $900 and you're trying to steal it for $300 without even seeing it, well it just goes to show how you function. You're a typical craigslist lowballer. If you really want it go see it...and don't expect a seller to sell it to you for a third of what they're asking just because you choose to drive over 2 hours to come see it.

Some other comments on here about a seller not posting more pictures, we all know that craigslist only allows you to post 4 pictures so even if this guy wanted to he could have only put on 2 more and since he's trying to sell 2 vehicles from one ad, he most likely would have posted 2 pictures of each vehicle, still not enough for what this guy or anyone else would like. It's not really up to him as a seller to bend over backwards either, if you as a buyer want it, then get your a$$ in gear and go look at it and get all your questions answered in person.

We've all had are moments of get a steal deal.. They might have had a difference in opinon.. I've been considering asking prices i've seen trucks sit on CL for a G. We all have our opinions. I'm goin to call the guy tommarow.. some of us can't make a four hour drive to make the an offer. I was trying to find a fair asking price... the guy wasn't taking offers..

Maybe you should have emailed him your number or asked for his and talked to him and explained how it's really far from you but you're definately interested in it and tried to get him to give you a "what's the least you'll sell it to me for sight unseen?" instead of throwing a slap in the face offer like what you did.

I hear you about trying to get a deal out of it, we all do that, but I think you have to do it in a way that doesn't upset him but gets your foot in the door when it comes to bargaining. Anyway good luck if he replies to you.

I understand him not taking offers, but how can you justify (realistically) such a lowball offer based on one tiny picture? If you can't see it in person how do you think someone would react to 1/3 of their asking price? Just using common sense would be enough to know that don't you think? I guess I'm blowing off steam but let me just say I'd NEVER sell you something, hell if I did you might make me pay you in having you take it. Jeez!

Let me add...$300 is NOT reasonable for someone asking $900.

Lets look at it from the seller side of things... He wants maximum dollar for something he's trying to get rid of out of his hands so he doesn't have to deal with it...He had know idea what he was selling other then the fact that it was Datsun PU. So within the two days of opening it up for people to look and offer he could have gotten "low ball offers" some maybe even lower then mine... majority of the people from when I called showed more interest in the citroen then the datsun. I understand were most of you are coming from and its because you guys are all datsun guys and know/understand the value of a vehicle.

Lets ask this question how much would you pay for my truck? most of you have seen my project.

71dimer, he could have made a separate add for both cars....hmm thats a thought? Then he could have posted a couple good shots of the truck at least with the tarp off. This way people can see what they are getting a bit better and not calling up to ask the most simple questions that the photos would have told you. Another thing you don't understand about selling something. Last time I checked theres millions of dollars spent on advertising every day, with that said the seller needs to bend over backwards to sell it. I've taken off work just to sell a car, or meet someone. The seller should want to make the buyer happy by bending over backwards....and I'm not saying kiss ass...but just make it easy.