Opinions: 521 on PO craigslist

71dimer, he could have made a separate add for both cars....hmm thats a thought? Then he could have posted a couple good shots of the truck at least with the tarp off. This way people can see what they are getting a bit better and not calling up to ask the most simple questions that the photos would have told you. Another thing you don't understand about selling something. Last time I checked theres millions of dollars spent on advertising every day, with that said the seller needs to bend over backwards to sell it. I've taken off work just to sell a car, or meet someone. The seller should want to make the buyer happy by bending over backwards....and I'm not saying kiss ass...but just make it easy.

Please fiveNdime, don't tell me what I don't understand about selling. I've gotten compliments on my ads and many have used my ad write ups as templates. I've seen sellers use my exact formats and other forum moderators reference my ads as what they think a vechile ad should look like (tons of details and tons of ads).

Back to the point, yeah he could have make two separate ads, hell he could have taken 100 pictures and written up a two page description of the vehicles too but since when does a seller need to bend over backwards to please anyone? I could, if I so choose to, put a one liner "For Sale Datsun Pickup" ad and not bother with anything else to include. Would it sell fast for what I want? Probably (mostly) not but there's no hard and fast rules out there that would make me feel like I'd need to do anything else. It all boils down to if you are interested in it at all, you as the buyer need to make the effort to show up or ask questions but don't try to pass it off as the sellers responsibility or duty to do that for you. I agree this guy's ad could be better (for sure it can) but you guys make it seem like he owes it to you to make it easier...he doesn't plain and simple.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You get more of any idea what the Citroen condition is... He shows half of the truck... half of 900 is 450.00 10% of that is. 405.

This doesn't even make any sense? So because he shows half the truck you are justifying your low ball offer???? Kid by your reasoning if he had posted no picture you'd offer him nothing then huh?

I'm not here trying to stick up for the guy, trust me I have posted super long detailed ads when it comes to selling one of my vehicles and it sold within hours of me posting it for my asking price but for you guys to get all bent and give unreasonbally low offers because a person didn't post more pics and detail is in my opinion way out of line.

Oh and MrRobatoGato, 10% of 450 is 405? :confused:

I was taught it was 45.

When selling you always have to deal with lowballers. It happens. If you don't want to deal with them then don't sell. Even if you put $price$ **FIRM** in the ad you still get lowballers- though you do get less calls.

It's also quite obvious that the sellers don't do the craigslist ad thing very much. They're just trying to clear the barn without hiring someone to do it.

That being said, no it isn't fair to offer low if you haven't been out to see it. $700, maybe. $300 hardly even exceeds scrap metal value, and probably could get that from a salvage yard. However, the fact that it doesn't run ("drove into the barn 3 years ago" isn't good enough to say it runs) doesn't help- it's be worth $900 or more if the pic is indicative of the overall condition AND it ran, but no one knows that. Gotta go look.

A 2 hour drive is nothing. I do that for parts all the time, on a weekday after work. And that's after the hour and a half commute.

at least you didn't insult his truck first. :D

when I'm selling on craigslist I will often get people (seem like young kids) who start out by insulting my product for sale. Then lowball me like they have just justified their offer. I usually don't reply at all. Like Doug said, you just have to take it and not get mad. I often wait a few days until my item sold (even if it sold for a little less than my asking price) Then I reply to the kid and say "sorry, it sold" :D

Please fiveNdime, don't tell me what I don't understand about selling. I've gotten compliments on my ads and many have used my ad write ups as templates. I've seen sellers use my exact formats and other forum moderators reference my ads as what they think a vechile ad should look like (tons of details and tons of ads).

Back to the point, yeah he could have make two separate ads, hell he could have taken 100 pictures and written up a two page description of the vehicles too but since when does a seller need to bend over backwards to please anyone?

Dude your so full of yourself I can smell you from here. Hey cool guy did I say 100 pictures and two pages....I guess I was crazy to assume you can read. I simply said he should have another add so he can weed out the stupid simple questions most have about the truck just by looking at the pics. Yes you do need to do all you can to sell it, if you want to sell it that is. But if you dont I would do it your way:D

GEE you have a point. There gay, or they have a crappy excuse

Dude your so full of yourself I can smell you from here. Hey cool guy did I say 100 pictures and two pages....I guess I was crazy to assume you can read. I simply said he should have another add so he can weed out the stupid simple questions most have about the truck just by looking at the pics. Yes you do need to do all you can to sell it, if you want to sell it that is. But if you dont I would do it your way:D

GEE you have a point. There gay, or they have a crappy excuse

Full of myself, I was just letting you know your assumption that I don't know how to sell something is way off. Look I am agreement with your points that his ad was lousy but I am totally in disagreement that it is his responsibility to bend over backwards to get any interested party more information/pictures the buyer may want/need to give an informed offer.

Your last line I don't even get...but whatever I'm not here to start an arguement with fellow ratsuners...just trying to explain that we can't get all annoyed with people who clearly don't use craigslist very often to sell things. We all have to do our legwork and homework to know if something is a good deal and/or worth going a long distance to take a look at something or buy it. It worked out for me when I flew from San Jose to San Diego to buy my 510 sight unseen and it just finished working out just as good for pac coast datsun (Mark) when he did the reverse fly from San Diego to San Jose to pick up his wagon sight unseen to him.

Let's just have a beer and blame this on that guy selling the 521 for getting us all of the subject...getting a Ratsun back on the road, sound good? :)

Let's just have a beer and blame this on that guy selling the 521 for getting us all of the subject...getting a Ratsun back on the road, sound good? :)

But I would assume you agree the picture could have been a little better!!!

For F sake take some pride and make that one picture look its best since its going to be worth a thousand words!

Beer always sounds good. Buy the way its probably worth what he's asking. I think people take it for granted these old dattos are going to stay cheap, but thats not the case. I am a firm believer don't look if you don't have the full cash offer, or at least close, ya know like 10% :lol: