NEED MAJOR HELP! REAR SUSPENSION QUESTION!

A while ago my 72 Datsun 510 was scrapped by theives. They took my wheels, rear coilovers, and my wink rear view mirror. Lucky, they couldn't remove the front coilovers so I still have them.

The Datsun was sitting pretty low with the coils and I still want that look.

My question is: Do I have to buy the rear coilovers again to keep it low or is there an alternate and less expensive route to accomplish this? For example, will KYB AGX shocks with certain springs do the job?

The coilovers I had were from technotoytuning. They basically mod a KYB short shift with ground control coilover sleeves.

I am in need of some major help guys. Anything and everything will help! The Datsun has been down for a while.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love TTT. Sorry about the loss man, That sucks majour ass. Unfortunatley I have no idea how to get your car back to its stance... One way to do it, of course, would be to replace them part-for-part. However Any Adjustable struts should do the job. the trick then is to find springs that are short/long enough.

Yeah if I take the adjustable strut route, its gonna be hard to figure out which springs I'm gonna need. Do they make lowering springs for Datsun 510's?

My thought? Go to www.rockauto.com, buy some mid-80s Dodge D50 front springs (stiff and cheap), trim them a bit, and pop them in. While there, get some rear shocks for an '82ish Camaro also. They are a nice cheap alternative for a lowered car (2" shorter than stock shocks).

That's what's in the back of this, worked a treat.

Rewind_510.jpg

My thought? Go to www.rockauto.com, buy some mid-80s Dodge D50 front springs (stiff and cheap), trim them a bit, and pop them in. While there, get some rear shocks for an '82ish Camaro also. They are a nice cheap alternative for a lowered car (2" shorter than stock shocks).

That's what's in the back of this, worked a treat.

Rewind_510.jpg

Can't find the springs on the website.

I want to install KYB AGX shocks, but does anyone know which ones will fit on my Datsun? I can't find any that are made for it. What other car and year would I have to get?

1985-1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S

But they should also be available for the Camaro? Corolla shocks roughly 1.5" shorter than stock, Camaro 2" shorter.

1985-1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S

[...]Corolla shocks roughly 1.5" shorter than stock, Camaro 2" shorter.

I'm running the Camaro shocks - the Corolla shocks have the same mounting as the 510/Camaro?

Thanks for everyones help on this topic. After thinking about it, I've decided to go with the best and safest route which is to re purchase the rear coilovers. This is the expensivest

way but also the best way for the Datsun in the long run.

How is that the best and safest route? I run KYB GR2s front and rear, and I use truck springs cut in half for the rear springs. I can go anywhere from 200 lb wheel rate in the rear to like 450 lbs. I can go from 4x4 fender gap, to completely slammed in the rear. And I can have multiple sets of springs for a hell of a lot cheaper than coilovers.

How is that the best and safest route? I run KYB GR2s front and rear, and I use truck springs cut in half for the rear springs. I can go anywhere from 200 lb wheel rate in the rear to like 450 lbs. I can go from 4x4 fender gap, to completely slammed in the rear. And I can have multiple sets of springs for a hell of a lot cheaper than coilovers.

Cut springs are horrible for your shocks.

Cheaper? Sure, but I'de rather be able to say

I run coilovers on my Datsun than to be ashamed

and say I run a crappy suspension set up with cut springs.

Cut springs are horrible for your shocks.

Cheaper? Sure, but I'de rather be able to say

I run coilovers on my Datsun than to be ashamed

and say I run a crappy suspension set up with cut springs.

Cut springs are horrible for shocks, sure... if they're something like 4" tall. The springs I'm running right now are 9 1/4" tall. I can cut an inch and a half off, and have the rear as low as I'd ever want to go for street driving... still plenty tall enough, my shocks will be fine laugh.gif

Crappy suspension setup? lol. ok. Are your rear shock towers reinforced at all? Probably not. I'd say running rear coilovers without doing any reinforcing is just as crappy. wink.gif

I also do more than just drive my Datsun and look badass while driving it... instead of dropping $650 on coilovers I'd rather have $650 in different sets of springs to finetune the car at track days and AutoX events cool.gif I guarantee if you rode in my 510 you wouldn't even notice the "crappy suspension" it has.

Cut springs are horrible for shocks, sure... if they're something like 4" tall. The springs I'm running right now are 9 1/4" tall. I can cut an inch and a half off, and have the rear as low as I'd ever want to go for street driving... still plenty tall enough, my shocks will be fine laugh.gif

Crappy suspension setup? lol. ok. Are your rear shock towers reinforced at all? Probably not. I'd say running rear coilovers without doing any reinforcing is just as crappy. wink.gif

I also do more than just drive my Datsun and look badass while driving it... instead of dropping $650 on coilovers I'd rather have $650 in different sets of springs to finetune the car at track days and AutoX events cool.gif I guarantee if you rode in my 510 you wouldn't even notice the "crappy suspension" it has.

How much would it be to get KYB shocks with springs? What springs would I have to get and where would I buy them from?

How much would it be to get KYB shocks with springs? What springs would I have to get and where would I buy them from?

dodge d50 cut to about 9.5 inches is a nice set up also roadster front springs are good

coil overs are great for adjust ability its all up to you

I have suspension techneaks (not spelled right)

I have had d50 cut and liked them too