s30kids new 85 720

just got off work, yesterday i picked a rough 85 720 from a guy here in town for 1100. at first (ill be honest) i didnt know what i had stumbled onto, i was just looking for a parts chaser, i thought it was just a nissan hardbody (that shows my ignorance lol) so i start looking up the year online and i was so happy to see it was actually a 720. i cant wait to start on this, and yes my z car is still in my thoughts, ill have oics up later today seeing as i just got off work, but im so stoked for this! cant wait to get some oics up!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im gonna get the pony re printed at a local print shop here that i have buku connections at lol

clutch needs to be adjusted, new slave cylinder most likely, got something banging under the body dont know what it is yet, currently have a 57 vette on my lift so once were done with that im throwing this truck up there to check out the undercarige. i may bag it idk yet, but its deff gettin slammed. the motor runs strong, for 1100 it better start as soon as i turn the key lol, and it does. very happy with. there will be more updates after my next paycheck. next pics will be of an all black lowered 720 and possibly some new wheels.

I think I will have the front marker light lenses and buckets once I am done with my front grill swap. Not 100% sure if there was any changes between 81-85 for them, but you should be able to find them pretty easy.

been on ebay and im finding some stuff for dirt cheep, im not doin alot to this truck its just a daily, but im gonna make it look nice. gonna keep it the colour it is now but paint the hood black and clean out the inside of the bed and hit that with some black, i would go with rhino lining but i might bag it and i dont know what its like cutting thru rhino lining, dont wanna try it lol. but i finally have my truck and its gonna be a mini and im more than happy with it.

FWIW: it's Xterra, not Exterra or Extera ... the 1st gen ('9? - '04) had hubs with a 6 on 5.5" bolt circle, while they went to a 6 on 4.5" bolt circle for the 2nd gen ('05 - present); who knows why, but I'm pretty sure you'll need the 1st gen ones if you want wheels for your truck. The particular style you linked to came on the 2nd gen SE ... so I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fit the 720. :sadpanda: <BR><BR>Also:  I'm a fan of the 720, especially in the King Cab flavor ... you've got a fun truck, enjoy it!

got some tires and wheels priced for my truck, going with the MB chaos 6 spoke 17" (better fitment for the truck) and the tires are just some regular low pro tires, lookin at about $1100 total for the mounting and everything so far, going to go to sears tomorrow to see if they can beat Discount Tire's price as promised ;)

heres what the wheels look like if your interested

http://c.shld.net/rp...2fd65ba9949adf1

Yes. But since he is a wiz at painting his Z I figured the truck went under the same treatment.

i have more spray paint then i know what to do with and i know the z looks bad right now but my buddy is shooting it gloss black and hes gonna do my truck too, i do the rattle can myself just to see if id like it befor actually dropping 2 or 300 on a legit paint job lol.

but yes your absolutely correct i did rattle can the bottom half along with the wheels, personally i dont like the wheels that are on it right now anyway, and the blak didnt help but, did a little but not much.

PREDICTED WEEKEND FORECAST:

FRIDAY: order 2" lowering kit and new clutch, pick up hardware for supra seat conversion (just drilling new holes and filling old ones {giggidy}], replace front speakers, buy tail lights and corner markers. find out what the hell is smacking against the under side of my truck when i drive, go to work not worrying about the speed bumps for the last time.

SATURDAY: pick up 2" lowering kit and new clutch and do work!

SUNDAY: enjoy the ride up the mtn in my lowered 720 to go do some snow boarding

MONDAY: fight the speed bumps at work. :cool:

ive got a wire problem, brights come on randomly, driving lights are coming on but its weird, i gotta toggle it back in forth for everything to be right, maybe i need a new switch idk...

Its the contacts on the switch. They get loose /gummy after years of use. Take a phillips head and remove the switch. Clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol and re-install. If your battery drains it might be because the switch is loose and activates the lights. Putting the switch in the brights position with the truck off prevents it gtom accidently turning on the lights.

Its the contacts on the switch. They get loose /gummy after years of use. Take a phillips head and remove the switch. Clean the contacts with rubbing alcohol and re-install. If your battery drains it might be because the switch is loose and activates the lights. Putting the switch in the brights position with the truck off prevents it gtom accidently turning on the lights.

yeah i figured the brights out lol and i put in new cable ends for the battery idk what its called. but yet thanks for the heads up haha ill take care of it tonight :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

IDK about much about the importance of engine angle, if anyone does please tell me all...but I think it bolts up to the motor fine but that the angle is off. I can confirm this tomorrow if you want and post up results as I've kinda wanted to for a while and I have the required equipment sitting in the Gayrage.

I started a KA vs Z24 thread awhile ago on NICO, I have been slacking on that with new baby and ton of other things this last year.

Nice Pick-up, sounds like the price was right, your truck looks clean and rustless. I love my 720, have been really surprised by him.

well heres the deal, im not doing the ka swap into my z as previously planned, instead im going to rip the z24 out of my truck once the trans blows and slide that ka in. its dual cam and its clean. so why not, but right now i need to focus on my z. after i get the few parts i need for it ill be doin more to the truck.

btw i got new wheels and tore the back bumper off...it looks alot better. oics up later today. :lol: