VIRUS ALERT!!! - please read -

If you get an email with the subject "STINKY CHEESE" do not open it or else it will erase your hard drive and your backups too and the hard drive of anyone related to you!!!

:(

CNN just released this video on what to do to protect yourself! :eek:

:blink:

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

That's lame. Although, if she actually lost the data, it sounds like a hard drive problem. Realistically, that could happen to any computer -- especially a portable one. Being spinning platters, it's not a matter of if a hard drive will fail, it's a matter of when. The only thing a computer manufacturer can do, is choose a good brand [or a solid state drive]. Even then, I had a Seagate many years ago in a Windows-based desktop which up and died unexpectedly. I lost a lot of irreplaceable data, and the lesson for me was: I need to backup my shit.

I had another Windows computer where two MSI motherboard died on me. The second one took the processor with it. As far as Macs, they're not all flawless either. I've had some issues with my PowerBook, but Apple has addressed them under warranty and generally without headache. My iPod broke too, after nearly two years. I had a month left on the extended warranty, and they eventually sent me a new one. That time it was a bit more frustrating, as I had to deal with a lot of outsourced call center folks before getting the issue settled.

Computers fail, and keeping backups is the only choice if you actually care about your files. Same with -- and actually, especially -- portable media players. I don't know how many people I've known who've had to re-import all their CDs after their mp3 player died.

As for operating systems, I'm running Ubuntu Hardy Heron on one of my computers and it's pretty groovy. I primarily use Mac OS, but I have a Windows VM too. :)