SAM_0064.jpg">

SAM_0044.jpg">

SAM_0041.jpg">

SAM_0040.jpg">

SAM_0039.jpg">

SAM_0038.jpg">

SAM_0037.jpg">

SAM_0036.jpg">

So here is my first post on Ratsun. This is my new 71 510 four door. I got it on trade for some body work I'm going to be doing on my buddy Matt's four door 510 which i'm sure you will soon be seeing pictures of. My plans for this car are nothing fancy. I plan on auto crossing it this summer and making a trip to Canby with it. Matt is in the process of putting my motor together for it. Its going to be an L20b with a closed chamber head. I plan on springing for a single side draft 40mm DCOE weber and cannon intake. The parts I already have for the car include KYB struts, spring techniqe springs, and some clean z car snow flake rims. I've already started cleaning up the engine bay by sand blasting some rust away and there will be much sand blasting to follow. The car has fist sized holes in the floor pan and rocker panels along with plenty of cancer in the doors. I am a journeyman autobody tech so this will be tons of fun. But remember the goal of this car is not to be pretty, but to be fun...and slammed! More pictures to follow as the project progresses.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's Matt's aka HRH's setup for his car. He's in the middle of an efi turbo l20 project. He has a build thread under the technical discussion L20BET. I am going all old school with a single side draft weber.

Haha, that's mine. That's what I have been using, soon to be replaced by a much better manifold. That manifold isn't much good past 5500 rpm. Would work great on a stockish L20 though.

Hey Reg - Good to see you on here. I gotta a feeling Matt has been twisting your arm pretty hard to start posting.

Now you have a couple of projects to report on. Take lots of pics of your new yellow car, and of the quarter panel replacement on Matt's car. I think most guys will love to see pics of serious rust repair and panel replacement. Maybe Matt can even do some of his famous vid clips of you attacking rust with saw and welder!

We'll see what the wheat price does this week and then I'll let ya know

Oh yeah, wheat price. Best this week it has been in weeks/months, but where will it go now? I sure don't know. Selling wheat and buying Datsuns or parts might be the sensible thing to do.

Matt - If you think of it, find out from your machine shop how much that peanut head has been milled. The last time I researched the subject of "how much is too much" to take off a head, the answers were pretty vague. It would be nice to see some actual numbers. What pistons are you using and what is your CR estimate?

Reg - Are you taking the new nipper out to the shop every chance you get? Need to imprint him with Datsuns at the earliest age. Maybe find someone to sew him a plush 510 toy instead of a teddy bear.

Also, I'm nominating you for Ratsun Hero of the Month for saving this 510 from Matt and his Sawzall!

Len

Hey Len, the head has indeed been milled .030" We're going to .045 as I feel that is not only enough to offset the nasty scratches on the surface, but also enough for the cam tower shims which come in .015" increments. The head has been milled slightly crooked. It varies by .003", however, as Mike at Sunwest assured me it won't make a hill of beans difference for compression. The only way to get it perfectly flat again is to use a floating table mill and do the top and bottom, and even that would only be within one or two thousandths from where it is now. Jones has one of those floating mills, but I don't like Jones, had bad experiences. And since they now own S&S, I'm not going there either.

Realistically though, it's so minutely far off (.003" front edge to back edge) it won't be a problem.

We're using stock L20B pistons, and as soon as I have valves in the head and get it back, I'll measure the combustion chamber. As Datzenmike pointed out, calculating round chambers is easy, but the peanut is a bit more of a problem due to the shape. Can't multiply by pie. ;)

Estimated compression thus far won't be much over 10:1, +-.5

Matt - Thanks for the info; exactly what I wanted to know. All this time I had been thinking the head had been shaved more than that, although even 30 thou is waaay more than factory allowed. I suppose there may be a way of equating each 15 thou to a CR increase, but it may not be a linear equation since the sides of the combustion chamber taper toward the top slightly.

It is my understanding that Jones (whoever he is) retired/sold out to S&S, but maybe I misunderstood what happened. I know the old Jones shop down on 2nd is closed and everything is at the S&S shop on Monroe. However, I don't know anything about S&S, other than they are one of the remaining rebuilders in town. It would be interesting to ask around and see what guys think of S&S.It sounds like you get good results from Sunwest, which is great. I plan to try them if I need any machine work done. I'm not expecting to have anything done, but who knows?

Please post the numbers when you cc the head and calculate the CR. Fascinating stuff, well to some of us anyway. Maybe I'm easily entertained.

Len

Thanks Len for the Hero nomination. I think thats a really good idea about Rad having a stuffed 510 instead of a teddy bear. I'll have to find someone to make it. I think i might do some more work on the new 510 this weekend. Maybe i'll replace some of the rocker. I don't have enough rocker sections to do the whole things so i'm going to have to piece in the worst parts and repair the rest. I'll take lots of pictures and have camera man matt take some footage. And Rad will be present to get some good Datsun experience. Today I'm going to the paint store to buy the paint for Ted's Mercedes so that project will be out of the way soon and matt's will be coming in right behind it. So pictures of Matt's 510's major surgery are coming soon.

Here's a couple more pictures of the problems with the car and what i did this last weekend.

SAM_0087.jpg">

Rusted out rocker panel. Not the lack of welded nut for the bottom fender bolt to thread into. bummer

SAM_0085.jpg

Some good cancer in the outer side of the frame rail.

SAM_0086.jpg

The other rocker... beat to hell.

SAM_0088.jpg

Driver side rocker/ dog leg also consumed by cancer.

SAM_0089.jpg

Doors

SAM_0090.jpg

gutted engine bay

SAM_0095.jpg

I did some more sand blasting this weekend but still have a lot to go. I've gone through almost 140 lbs of sand and i'll probably need 300 more before i'm done.

SAM_0098.jpg

There she is in all her glory

Green engine bay with yellow car? Not to sure bout that. I've been thinking glossy dull grey. There's an audi TT that runs around spokane that is the color i'm thinking. Its definately a euro color. I think it would go good with yellow.