Did the factory every repaint cars that were finished?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nope...

would've been done by a PO.

Cars did get touched up after delivery if they had transport damage... vinyl roofs were usaully added to hide damage from shipping, not because they were cool.

... and what matt said... sure its not orange primer?

The closest you can come to an answer to your question is that indeed Nissan rebuilt and sold as refurbished/restored some early 240Z cars. Can't remember the exact years it was done, the mechanic in my local service station was part of that effort and confirmed that it was done very well. Achieving an acceptable paint job in the USA, one that met Nissan production line standards, was the toughest part of the restoration and may be why the effort was dropped.

Also, about 2 years ago someone on this forum posted about a fully restored 510 he had bought from Nissan when they were relocating to Tennessee. Apparently Nissan was restoring representative cars for a museum or exhibit hall in the Gardena California headquarters building when Renault put a stop to that effort.

• 3 weeks later...

I do know that one dealer here in Fort Worth did 'repair' some 240's back when they were new and in big demand, but sold them as used. In one case, they took three wrecked 240's and welded them in to one complete car....seriously. I know the body man who did the work (he's about 75 now) and my dad worked at the dealership when he did the work. Even with all the body time in the repair, they still made money on the damn thing.

I also know of a 620 used for towing that was stretched by about 6 inches only in the front fenders to fit a 6cyl...the truck is still driven today in Garland, TX by a car lot. Imagine trying to find a replacement front fender for that one. Haha!