My KA24E 620

Project Bandwagon

Okay, I've been lurking for awhile. I put in quite a few late nights on this project trying to get it driveable for a drift event. Yes, that's my overall plan is a ratty datsun drift truck.

I made the drift event, but fried an ECU after 3.1 runs, but more on that later. I figured it was time to make a thread for 2 reasons. i'd like to get the communities input and get everyone up to speed in case i need help, and i need to rekindle my ambition for this project. its been sitting for 2 months with little to no progress.

i'd also like to say without the help of SEVERAL members on this forum, I wouldn't have gotten this far. I haven't been a Nissan/Datsun guy before this project.

On with the oics!

ok, I found this 1974 Datsun 620 truck sitting out in a field about 6 miles outside of Sturgis, SD where I live. I've wanted to try and build a drift truck for awhile now, and yes I know I'm late to the party, so I have called it Project Bandwagon.

This is how I got her:

DSC_0425.jpg

DSC_0423.jpg

DSC_0422.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

DSC_0420.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0428.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0426.jpg

DSC_0424.jpg

The plan is to stick a KA24e out of an 89 240sx in it.

I was going to wait on a de or an sr, but the price was oh so right on the ka i found, i couldn't pass it up.

I found this sitting out in a field in Belle Fourche (about 40 miles from where I live). It had some front end damage after making contact with a pole. The interior was mice ridden, half of it missing, and it was dirt cheap, this was a perfect candidate for the swap.

I robbed the Motor, Trans, ECU, driveshaft, mounts, seats, fusebox, radiator, front suspension, steering rack, ebrake cable & handle, rear end/rear suspension, and anything else I could think of before I sent it off to the crusher.

For now the suspension/steering/subframe/rearend won't be used, but most of the rest of it will.

These first 4 were to show how nasty the drivetrain was. It got degreased scrubbed and pressure washed.

DSC_0448.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0451.jpg

Here it is fresh and clean:

DSC_0452.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0454.jpg

DSC_0455.jpg

Here is the pile of remaining parts, and the shell before it got trailered off to get crushed.

DSC_0456.jpg

DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0458.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are before and afters of the 620 Engine bay getting cleaned:

DSC_0922.jpg

DSC_0923.jpg

DSC_0924.jpg

DSC_0934.jpg

Some Misc pics of the piles

DSC_0938.jpg

DSC_0936.jpg

DSC_0935.jpg

DSC_0933.jpg

DSC_0932.jpg

DSC_0926.jpg

I got the motor/trans wedged into the bay last night. got it positioned to where I wanted it, and got my mounts figured out.

The rear trans mount will work almost perfect, I had to slot the mounting holes 1/3 of an inch or so. I'm using the rubber from the 620 mount and the 240 engine portion. I could have got the mounts to line up perfect if I had chosen to cut the firewall, but that would have put the shifter back another 2 inches, and i would have had to fab up a new trans mount. This doesn't leave me much room for a cooling fan, so I'll put a pusher in front of the radiator.

DSC_0962.jpg

DSC_0961.jpg

DSC_0960.jpg

So we got the front mounts figured out, tacked into place and the motor is pulled out again so that I can weld in the mounts and clean up/paint some areas in the bay. I've also got a timing chain kit with the updated chain guides, chain, and gears. I'll do that while its out of the truck again.

At this point, I'd like to share my timing chain guide had 2 inches of guide left on it, the rest of it was GONZO. if you don't know if it has an updated guide in your KA24.... upgrade it! well worth the time/money

These are in a F'ed up order

Here is the new underdash fuse panel and ecu wiring. Still have to clean up, finish mounting

DSC_0993.jpg

DSC_0990.jpg

DSC_0989.jpg

Believe it or not, this was a brand new radiator before pulling it in and out of the truck about 12 times!:lol: me and the radiator fin comb will get acquainted.

DSC_0992.jpg

I had to modify the stock 620 driveshaft to work. the tail end of the transmission sits about 3/4 to 1" back from the original location. the dust shield on the end of the slip yolk was the only thing holding it up. i had to cut off a little more than an inch to make it fit, but the driveshaft is bolted up now! again this is stage one with the 2pc driveshaft. 1 pc aluminum will come.

DSC_1003.jpg

DSC_1002.jpg

DSC_1001.jpg

no idea why i took so many pictures of this :utoh:

DSC_1000.jpg

DSC_0999.jpg

DSC_0998.jpg

new radiator installed, and a couple shots of the modified front end to accept the 2 pusher fans

DSC_0991.jpg

DSC_0997.jpg

DSC_0996.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg

Another random shot of the wiring inside

DSC_0994.jpg

I pulled the engine harness off, stripped all the old conduit and shit off, and rerouted and reloomed the harness

DSC_0974.jpg

DSC_0975.jpg

The leftovers :lol:

DSC_0976.jpg

And reinstalled

DSC_0988.jpg

and the nearly free wheels i think im gonna run with. ill need like 1" spacers in the back as the tire is millimeters from rubbing the leaf spring in the rear

just rolled up next to the truck for this one

DSC_0977.jpg

installed on this shot

DSC_0987.jpg

and this tip in the top right will probably by protruding out of my hood:lol:

DSC_0995.jpg

At this point, I had everything in place and tried to start it for the first time. found out my MAF wasn't far enough away from the throttle body.

then i figured out that when i did the timing chain install, the oil pump moved on me a little bit. i had to tear it back apart and get that timing on

and finally my update from today

not a whole lot in the way of updates. with my new job, i haven't had much time to work on it. Almost all of the work done thus far was at my shop at work. my pick of hoists, welders, tools, and supplies

It drove from spearfish (work) to sturgis, in 3rd gear :lol: because with the 5speed ecu it cuts the fuel off half way through 3rd gear. so low rpms in third the whole way home.

made it to the drift event, got 3.1 runs in before i fried the ecu.

the .1 i put on the 14" wheels/tires it came with and shredded a tire through the first corner, wrapped it around the leaf spring and axle, but was a good time.

after my 3rd run, it died and wouldn't start. after like 3 hours of trying to diagnose it at the drift event, im pretty sure i had a relay stick and fried the ecu. im going to go through and sanitize my wiring some more, and i got an auto ecu so i'll install that replace relays and see if it starts.

since it got home it has kind of been sitting. pulled it into the garage and started tearing the rear suspension off so i can test fit the 240 rear end. its like 10 inches wider, but nothing some z car style flares can't cover lol.

heres a few pictures of the progress with the rear end.

Here's the 2 rear ends side by side, as you can see the 240 rear is clearly much wider. both left wheels are even on the outside. its just under 10 inches wider

ADSC_0123.jpg

o'l dottie with her skirt up

ADSC_0124.jpg

sittin on jackstands, but doable!

ADSC_0125.jpg

hella poke!

ADSC_0130.jpg

yeah thats the kool-aid man.... he says "oh yeah"

ADSC_0132.jpg

as of right now it's just sitting on stands in the garage. i'll try and do some more figuring on suspension and see what i'm going to need to connect the rear to the frame.

i need a short cheap coilover, but don't have any measurements yet. i had actually thought about coil over air suspension but not good for dorifto

i'll have to see if anyone got any pics/vids of it "drifting" it was pretty sad without a welded diff

These updates were adapted from a local forum I'm on, so if something doesn't make sense, thats probably why, there were 6 pages of posts between the first and last update.

I started the motor swap on August 8th

and drove it home on October 5th

Also, I'm sure it will be asked, but YES i pulled a running l18 out in lieu of a ka24e. i still have the l18 tucked in the shed for my next datsun project, which will hopefully be a resto.

• 9 months later...

wow, i haven't updated this in a long time. The rear end is finished, I had some troubles with the engine, I think it came down to the oil pump drive being a tooth off, but for now I scored another cheap KA to throw in. It's now running/driving/drifting

Here's a link to the rear end progress

http://s2.beta.photobucket.com/user/haimiah/library/Cars/74%20Datsun%20620/March%2031st%202012

I'll throw up a few of the bigger ones

It's probably overkill, but better over than under i guess lol

DSC_0689.jpg

I used Mazda Miata Struts/Coilovers. They gave me what I needed height wise to not have to chop up the box.

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0696.jpg

DSC_0700.jpg

i couldn't find bushings that would work with the miata struts and the 240 rear subframe, so i looked and looked til i found something close. what i came up with was from a nissan hardbody, but the center hole was too small, nothing me and a dremel couldn't handle.

left is how they came, right is what it looks like now

DSC_0063.jpg

both done

DSC_0064.jpg

So now I have nissan hardbody bushings on miata struts for a 240 subframe in a datsun 620 pickup.. O.o

I then set to cleaning/painting everything

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

This was on the engine that wasn't running right, made it out to the drift event, but it wouldn't slide

YUS_6325-1.jpg

and one that someone found online and showed me, apparently it's getting attention already lol

Sturgis-20120520-00612.jpg

I want to get adapters for the front to run all of the 4 lug rims, but can't bring myself to get 6lug to 4 lug adapters, they look so sketch. for now I'll run the 6lug gmc's up front, although I might try and find some spacers so it doesn't look so goofy.

There is a drift event on Nov 25th, which I'm registered for, so there are some things I have to button up.

Get the box on (it needs more weight, the rear end just wants to come around) I have to modify one of the cross braces underneath to accomodate for the fuel cell, as well as the fuel cell vent. at that point i'll modify the box and throw on the z car flares i have for it.

Headlights/Taillights. I pulled all of the stock fuses chasing a draw, and the wiring to the rear has seen better days. it's just ziptied in front of the right rear wheel at this point

Exhaust, man it's obnoxious! right now it's just the exhaust mani then it ends O.o

The brakes are really soft, I think it's a combination of the 620 master coupled with the 240 rear disc brakes, and i have a leak at one of my unions underneath.

Seats, the stock 240 seats I installed are beat, there's nothing to hold you in place and I've been sitting on a set of cheapo racing seats for awhile, and if time permits a harness bar, but that will probably be a winter project.

probably spacers, so i can throw the front flares on too, it looks so goofy with the rear poking and the front tucking

front end was going to be my project this winter, but the rear end kind of kicked my ass. i may blow apart the front end on the datsun and start getting ideas, but i wanted to get some seat time to see how the rear end held up. first test will be a drift day on nov. 25th

I didn't really wanna do a tube front end, but that may end up being what i do. we'll see.

i promised myself I wouldn't do this yet, but i just pulled the trigger on a new front bumper and front valance. I wanted to finish up what I have going, but couldn't resist.

Looking for fenders, but shipping is a KILLER on any i find still in stock!