A couple su related questions

Just Joel

Power steering for an L20b, is it stock? I would like to see photos of that, or is it just napZ stuff bolted on despite the L20b timing chain cover and differances in the head?

Z24 PS assembly on the LZ23....no diff on fit with either Z or L TC cover

sla3.jpg

Fittings removed....Screwdriver and hose denote (possible 'migration'... :D ) flow.

PC180016.jpg

Connecting the IM to that brass plug won't allow any flow (both are connected to the head) it will need to be spliced into the line going down to the lower rad inlet.

Hmmmmm...guess I'll stick with Plan A..... :lol:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The larger opening from the head will dominate while the tiny hose and holes in the intake will be restrictive. If spliced in at a tee they are similar size pipes.

Copy that... after posting, I thought about it for a second and considered that as a potential problem.

Later

Joel

Z24 PS assembly on the LZ23....no diff on fit with either Z or L TC cover

sla3.jpg

Fittings removed....Screwdriver and hose denote (possible 'migration'... :D ) flow.

PC180016.jpg

Hmmmmm...guess I'll stick with Plan A..... :lol:

I can see a bunch of clearance issues you are dealing with because of the napZ ajustment pulley, and it doesn't look like it just bolts up, you had to ad brackets, for lack of holes in the proper places. Is that a electronic ign. distributor?

I think what has been said about the intake manifold piping has merit, the intake needs a lot of hot water going threw it, the thermostat housing needs just enough going threw it to empty the thermostat housing of cold water, if I had a choice in your situation, seeing the photos, I would scrap the bypass out of the thermostat housing and drill a hole in the thermostat itself and hope it works, if your water temp is not steady, then it isn't going to work, my water temp was all over the place with the L16 T -housing, but I did not have a hole in the thermostat either. Are you also running a electric fuel pump, as the PS pump/reservior looks to be in the way also, I went a differant route, I put the pump(hardbody type) on the drivers side low under the su intake with a remote reservior.100_0157.jpg100_0156.jpg

All you can do is connect everything you need to make it run, which includes the air filters, fuel lines, water lines, choke cables, throddle cable, ect; then pipe something in that will work for your situation, the PCV doesn't pull a lot of air, so it is not likely to suck itself flat, what I would do is after everything is in, look at what you have for clearance, and go to the wreaking yard and just start looking for something the right size with the bends where you need them, note what the vehicle is if you want new later, take the hose home, cut to fit, and install it, and test for operation, then if you want new, go to the parts store and buy a new hose for that vehicle.

Now thats interesting... so i dont even need to run the damb line?! No ill performance effects? I live in what can be at times a VERY cold place. Would eliminating the coolant from the IM show negatives in my case?

Thanks

Joel

Yes. If you lived in an area where the temperatures weren't to the extremes (too cold or too hot), then you could run it without the line. My opinion? RUN THE LINE!

Here are some pics of my setup:

101_0893.jpg

101_0892.jpg

101_0891.jpg

There are two holes in the housing - one for the temperature sensor. The other one I just plugged. No problems from that. I think this was technically a ZX housing, but it works for me. It had a straight fitting and it fed the intake manifold tap before I installed the SUs.

The PCV valve is run with a stainless braided line (5/8" ID to fit the PCV valve). Use the hard line from the block with a 5/8" elbow with flares on the ends - it fit right in to the end of the stock line and it is crankcase air only.

101_0898.jpg

101_0899.jpg

101_0897.jpg

Yes. If you lived in an area where the temperatures weren't to the extremes (too cold or too hot), then you could run it without the line. My opinion? RUN THE LINE!

Word! In extreme summer heat the under hood temps will soar. Hot exhaust will bake the intake runners, specially heat soaking them if you make a brief stop. The water lines will draw away heat.

PC180016.jpg

The spot where the screwdriver is "fitted", that should be where the temperature sensor should be screwed in. The other hole can be plugged...

Oh crap - my bad. I see the temperature sensor below the screwdriver. This is the ZX housing for sure.

The spot where the screwdriver is "fitted", that should be where the temperature sensor should be screwed in. The other hole can be plugged...

Oh crap - my bad. I see the temperature sensor below the screwdriver. This is the ZX housing for sure.

Actually...I believe that is from a 75 620

Just Joel - you are running the L16, right? The PCV hard line should be between the #2 and #3 cylinders on the driver's side and stick straight out from the block. It should "fit" in the lower notch at the bottom of the SU heat shield. You actually have it easier than the guys (like me) running an L20B with SUs. The L20B has a boss on the side of the block that is up and down. I used the stock L20B hard line and cut it so the elbow would line up with the PCV valve (as viewed from above).

Now thats interesting... so i dont even need to run the damb line?! No ill performance effects? I live in what can be at times a VERY cold place. Would eliminating the coolant from the IM show negatives in my case?

Thanks

Joel

You live where it routinely gets in the teens in the winter, I know it is not as pretty, but it is better to run all the lines, than having the headaches created looking pretty.