Daf's 240z project

daf

So I am kind of new here, been lurking for a while since I found this site, and I am really digging it. Little bit of back ground on me.

First car I ever fell in love with was my 1984 300zx. When my family first got it, I thought it was an ugly POS, but I needed a car, so I baught it off my mom and fell in love. It died on me while at work one day at 580,000 original miles. No lie, I sat in the road crying. After that, I got a civic, blah blah blah, ricer ricer, blah blah, boosted B16 in an integra, blah blah, ANYWAY! A few months back I stumbled across a 240z for sale. Ever since I lost my Z31, I have been searching for another Z. Specifically an S30. I've always loved them. Well, this kid had run out of funds to finish his project and was looking for a new beater.

So I know the guys at a local tuner shop, and bought a Jetta off them for about $1,000 that the only issue was AC needed to be re-charged, and straight traded him for the Z. Here she is.

310845_10150374971094333_783424332_7934085_241802553_n.jpg

378751_10150374971834333_783424332_7934092_1348830442_n.jpg

376042_10150374972614333_783424332_7934098_461610865_n.jpg

Now, there is some major bad with her. Currently she has no brakes, no floor pans (rusted out), and some other body dents and dings, and needs some general all round anti-rust lovin.

The good? Other than already having a fuel sell in it, and about $3,000 in suspension work already done to it (control arms and such), it has a transplant in it. Call me a trator, call me a moron, call me what ever, but it already has in it, a 2jzgte. And it is staying in there, lol. Much more work to come and I will keep you all posted on all the work. This thing is going to be a beast, and I am going to keep it a little on the rat rod side, as I am kind of a weird guy, and do listen to way too much Horrorbilly as it is.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not 100% sure as the kid imported the motor and it never ran while in the car because he never finished it. From my experience with imported motors, it is unlikely over 50k. He said it came out of an Aristo, and has an R154 transmission matted to it. Knowing the mentality of Aristo/GS300 owners, I don't think it was beat on too much. I am however doing a basic rebuild on it. All new gaskets, belts and what not. Even throwing a new headgasket and some ARP headstuds for good measure. I am taking what I have learned in the honda world to help me do this thing right, and the shop I hang out at, the owner is a good friend of mine and he is just as excited to work on this as I am. He has helped me out a lot so far. I am considering this as payment for the pit I helped him dig for his dyno, lol.

nice to see another flat black z on here :] welcome

what do you plan on doing with this car? race, drag. drift?

I am going to have my GF (assuming we are still good by then) do some traditional Japanese art on the back section behind the front doors to make it stand out some, but keep the front section flat black. She is an amazing artist. I am setting it up for Drag. I don't mind autoX, but it's just not my thing, I prefer Rally and Drag, don't ask why. I am shooting for the 600whp mark if all goes well, lower it a bit, put it on some nice rims and just style and shit on corvettes in my spare time, lol. I have an HX40 lined up that just needs a rebuild, but I might step up to something bigger.

Nice! I like the way this looks. Drop it lower and get rid of the spoiler though.

2JZ's are beast. Major props.

Spoiler actually fell off when we were bringing it to the shop, thank god, lol. I am going to remove the rest of whats there, then it is on to more low. I have a hook up for a CNC machine and going to get some camber plates made, and do the S13 coilover conversion style. I have a laundry list of stuff I need to do, but funds are really the only thing holding me back. Fixing to get a new beater so I can part out my boosted integra to fund this, and still trying to sell my old mercedes wagon that needs a new trans. All that money is going in to the Z

I like this idea .......alot..

I am going to have my GF (assuming we are still good by then) do some traditional Japanese art on the back section behind the front doors to make it stand out some, but keep the front section flat black. She is an amazing artist.

So didn't get a chance to shoot some pics this weekend, dealing with some drama between a suicidal roommate and a girlfriend who is......difficult......bleh. Anywho, I have pulled up some pics from the previous owner and the work he had done, which is about where the car is at now.

img8gnhqgf49p6vmrir5qes_883949.jpg

imgtrivzrfydbhnfffrdbab_883949.jpg

img3opzgj4z5is9uvkkg678_883949.jpg

img4oo8nrdg3b34vdkpf3pk_883949.jpg

imgvhnf2pwqwnt859kzj7ph_883949.jpg

imgfnk2b4i479fjvoaci6m8_883949.jpg

imgn6epdwc4xgcebw2kyjam_883949_large.jpg

2JZ-GTE, R154 5-speed trans, Betamotorsports engine cross member, custom trans cross member, Driftmotion 24x12x4 front mount intercooler, HKS fuel rail, Aeromotive FPR

He has done a ton of work for me already, but there is still a lot to do.

Xmas was good to me this year. First in a while. Got some cash so I will be putting a down payment on a Forester XT next week hopefully, so my integra can be parted out to fund the Z. Also, a buddy got me an Infiniti Q45 throttle body for the Z as well, pics soon. Also talked to a buddy who has the hook up on a CNC machine, and going to get some custom camber plates made for my suspension. Still need to get the ECU situation taken care of, but working on that. Lastly, the mishimoto radiator I had on my integra is getting warranted out due to a defect it had, going to see about exchanging it for one to go in to the Z. Until I get some pics, I leave you with Rooney Mara as Lisabeth from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, because if you have not seen it.......dear god........Y U NO SEE?!?!?!

4e95883d52a91.image.jpg

Xmas was good to me this year. First in a while. Got some cash so I will be putting a down payment on a Forester XT next week hopefully, so my integra can be parted out to fund the Z. Also, a buddy got me an Infiniti Q45 throttle body for the Z as well, pics soon. Also talked to a buddy who has the hook up on a CNC machine, and going to get some custom camber plates made for my suspension. Still need to get the ECU situation taken care of, but working on that. Lastly, the mishimoto radiator I had on my integra is getting warranted out due to a defect it had, going to see about exchanging it for one to go in to the Z. Until I get some pics, I leave you with Rooney Mara as Lisabeth from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, because if you have not seen it.......dear god........Y U NO SEE?!?!?!

4e95883d52a91.image.jpg

hey if you need brakes i make the wilwood set up with e brake calipers all cnc machine email me at krecs1@hotmail.com

Realy digging this. Ratty on the outside, clean under the hood and underneath, just the way I like it. I don't think you will ruffle many feathers here with that mill under the hood! 1JZ 2JZ, it is a bitchin motor.

Look forward to seeing the GFs art. I am thinking along the same lines (graphically) for my dime. Lots of traditional Japanese art.

hey if you need brakes i make the wilwood set up with e brake calipers all cnc machine email me at krecs1@hotmail.com

Word, I'll shoot you a line. I probably can't afford it right at this moment, but I will shoot you a line for a quote for sure. I was going to just do toyota 4x4 front calipers and 240sx rear calipers.

I remember this car from hybrids.org I think that was a 1jz not sure but he has a build thread also check out zccjdm.com they have great coilover adapters and camber plates for cheap just search hybridz on his site.

Yeah, he had a few threads on a few websites. He didn't want to let it go, but really needed to get a working beater. I want to do this right, so he knows it went to good use.

Realy digging this. Ratty on the outside, clean under the hood and underneath, just the way I like it. I don't think you will ruffle many feathers here with that mill under the hood! 1JZ 2JZ, it is a bitchin motor.

Look forward to seeing the GFs art. I am thinking along the same lines (graphically) for my dime. Lots of traditional Japanese art.

Thanks, and she is now an Ex, but she is still down for doing the work, lol. Got to love how life works out.

Whoah .. killer deal! !! 2jz-gte ftw, ,,, and 5spd ta boot! !!

Subscribed, ,, wow the suspension , wheels ,and engine alone! !!!

Wheels are bad ass !

Someone did a nice job of buzzing off original engine mounts ...

Replace/check those u-joint halfshafts .... or get some 280zx tri-pod type Cv axles and an r-200 diff w/mustache bar ,, looks like an r-180 diff? I think...

Long nosed r200 Lsd from turbo 300zx as well... rarer for sure

Love the car dude ... congrats on the s30 :cool:

Whoah .. killer deal! !! 2jz-gte ftw, ,,, and 5spd ta boot! !!

Subscribed, ,, wow the suspension , wheels ,and engine alone! !!!

Wheels are bad ass !

Someone did a nice job of buzzing off original engine mounts ...

Replace/check those u-joint halfshafts .... or get some 280zx tri-pod type Cv axles and an r-200 diff w/mustache bar ,, looks like an r-180 diff? I think...

Long nosed r200 Lsd from turbo 300zx as well... rarer for sure

Love the car dude ... congrats on the s30 :cool:

I am probably not going to keep the wheels. I am looking at getting some Work Meisters in a really aggressive offset for the car. As for the rear end, yeah, I am pretty sure it's still a R180. I am going to source an R230 for the build, and use custom axles. And the suspension I am going to over haul even more, to refine it for drag. Let that ass end squat, lol

• 4 months later...

It's been a crazy past couple of months. Life hit me hard. Bitches be trifling, owing mad money on taxes, and a job that does not pay nearly enough. Fortunately though my z is now officially mine. Made the last pay on the personal loan I pulled out on it and now starts the fun stuff. First I am going to do an overhaul on the brake system. The previous owner started to do the 240sx rear conversion, but I am going to need more than just rear disk.

Check list.

Custom spacer made

84 z31 turbo rotars

89-95 Toyota 4x4 front calipers (4 piston)

79-81 280zx 15/16th brake master cylindar

and that is just the front brakes. I will likely be purchasing these towards the end of may and start documenting there. Just been a while and figured I would poke my head in and say hi.