dizzy plastic piece

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, I got a reman matchbox dizzy from rockauto and it came with the metal (spindle cover?).

Anyway, I never had cause to remove it, but the fact that it's on there means they're probably interchangeable. Doesn't look any different than the plastic ones except, of course, more durable.

I meant to put that in my last post, sorry. I have an L16 points dizzy with the metal drive spindle sleeve. I can punch it out and send you that, or just send you the whole dizzy. If I punch it, it'll take longer because I'm in the middle of a move and don't know exactly where my punch set is at right now. Without that sleeve, the rest of the dizzy is just parts, anyway.

Disclaimer, though: I BELIEVE that this spindle will work on the matchbox dizzy, but I've never tried it. They look the same, but the one on my matchbox may have been different in some way. Maybe someone else can answer for sure? Anyway, if I can still get the flat rate boxes at the post office, it's yours for $20 shipped.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Disclaimer, though: I BELIEVE that this spindle will work on the matchbox dizzy, but I've never tried it. They look the same, but the one on my matchbox may have been different in some way. Maybe someone else can answer for sure? Anyway, if I can still get the flat rate boxes at the post office, it's yours for $20 shipped.

I just cant remember if they are "clocked" right,or was it deck height :unsure:

Well, there's no "clocking" with the sleeve, because all it does is surround the drive spindle. And I don't think that dizzy height would be an issue because that is set by the dizzy pedestal. I think this sleeve only acts as a bushing surface for the drive spindle. even if it were a "clocking" piece, there's only one way to install it; the pin driven straight through the center. The only problem I could possibly foresee is if that pin hole were at a different height between the metal and plastic bushings. I highly doubt it.

Z chopper, if you still have your points dizzy, why not punch the old spindle bushing out and use that one on your matchbox. Remember you'll also need a matchbox dizzy pedestal. That's where the clocking issue comes in.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Well, there's no "clocking" with the sleeve, because all it does is surround the drive spindle. And I don't think that dizzy height would be an issue because that is set by the dizzy pedestal. I think this sleeve only acts as a bushing surface for the drive spindle. even if it were a "clocking" piece, there's only one way to install it; the pin driven straight through the center. The only problem I could possibly foresee is if that pin hole were at a different height between the metal and plastic bushings. I highly doubt it.

Z chopper, if you still have your points dizzy, why not punch the old spindle bushing out and use that one on your matchbox. Remember you'll also need a matchbox dizzy pedestal. That's where the clocking issue comes in.

But there is, a couple different L motors take the clock different..

the L16 I got is basically a long block with no intake manifold, exhaust manifold, dizzy or valve cover

Well, I have quite a few parts laying around, so if you need something else, let me know. That dizzy is yours if you want it. I think the post office is still open on Saturdays (at least until next month :blink: ). I also have a spare stock L18 intake/exhaust set sitting out there, but it's pretty heavy to ship...

Well, I have quite a few parts laying around, so if you need something else, let me know. That dizzy is yours if you want it. I think the post office is still open on Saturdays (at least until next month :blink: ). I also have a spare stock L18 intake/exhaust set sitting out there, but it's pretty heavy to ship...

the dizzy would be cool post a pic if you can, I prefer not to get anything from cross border till after christmas shipping season, so the chances of getting lost in mail is reduced

Ford V4 with fibre timing gears ... was still a better idea than GM's plastic engine parts on a vibration-inherent V6.

It's maybe not a bad idea in the Datsun. That plastic doesn't break in operation, does it? Only when you take the distributor out an drop it :-)

The only problem I could possibly foresee is if that pin hole were at a different height between the metal and plastic bushings. I highly doubt it.

The pin height is about .75mm lower on the plastic bushing.

The metal bushing would work on the dizzy that had the plastic bushing... just drop the overall length by .75mm.

No foreseen problemos. :D

PC090002.jpg

Could ship you a metal bushing....if you're in a bind.

All my plastic bushings are somewhat attached to good... useable dizzys :D

Actually...I may of spoke to soon.

It looks like the tabs/tangs (for the OP spindle) in the plastic bushing dizzy are a little larger the other dizzy.

Kind of hard to measure.....so...I'll try to find another NFG dizzy, and see if the metal bushing slides on.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.