dizzy plastic piece

Well, I stand corrected. Wasn't expecting that. Thanks, Sealik, for the comparison photo between the two. Two things I notice here; one, the length from pin to bushing tip appears to be equal in the pic, it appears that the difference in length that Sealik noted is above the pinhole, and compensated for by the spacer above it. Therefore, the important dimension is the length from pin centerline to the bottom of the bushing. As long as those lengths are equal, you would not shorten the bushing. And two, are those pins different diameters, or is it just me?

So long story short, measure pin centerline to bottom of bushing. It should be equal. Remove pins, take spacer from metal bushing and transfer onto EI dizzy, install bushing and pin.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

D4K is the hitachi matchbox distributors (including fours and sixes)

D4K9-090405 is the Hitachi part number

22100-N8502 is the Nissan part number

... for 1980 200SX with Z20E engine

The main difference between the different part numbers are the advance characteristics. They are slightly different every year, even between FED and CAL in the same year.

The advance curves aren't very different, and they all are wrong for your engine (e.g. L20B curve is not optimum for L20B). Hence recurving even the stock distributor will pick up a few HP and a few MPG.

The main difference between the different part numbers are the advance characteristics. They are slightly different every year, even between FED and CAL in the same year.

The advance curves aren't very different, and they all are wrong for your engine (e.g. L20B curve is not optimum for L20B). Hence recurving even the stock distributor will pick up a few HP and a few MPG.

I only understood the part about more HP and more MPG.

I am sure when I get to building the engine I'll be asking lots of newb like questions

D4K is the hitachi matchbox distributors (including fours and sixes)

D4K9-090405 is the Hitachi part number

22100-N8502 is the Nissan part number

... for 1980 200SX with Z20E engine

enlighten me on advanced curves and how to recurve a dizzy

We alll know that having more spark advance gives more power (up to a point). Well most distributors don't give the optimum advance. Because there is a tolerance in the parts they err on the side of caution (e.g. it might be right on, but on average it will be a ways off), and also because of emission profiles for anything after about 1968.

With most engines, you can add more HP by having the distributor recurved than you can by changing the camshaft. Even if your peak timing (advance) is right on, you can add a bunch of part throttle performance. But not always. Just usually. This is a main reason why when new, some stock engines ran better than other identical ones.

You take it to an distributor expert and they check it out and make changes as necessary. Or a dyno tuner will do it by direct measurements.

Not trying to tread jack here. How about just a part number for the plastic piece so I can try the dealer? I need one too. Let us know if the metal one works on it.

The metal one will work. I have swapped around 4 of these in the past. I think I removed the little washer that sits between the dizzy and sleeve for a little more clearance.

6275f0f7.jpg

The pin height is about .75mm lower on the plastic bushing.

The metal bushing would work on the dizzy that had the plastic bushing... just drop the overall length by .75mm.

No foreseen problemos. :D

PC090002.jpg

Could ship you a metal bushing....if you're in a bind.

All my plastic bushings are somewhat attached to good... useable dizzys :D

you got that metal bushing?

you got that metal bushing?

Earlier today....I pulled the metal bushing off 1 dizzy and fitted it to a dizzy that had the plastic bushing.

It fits....as jefe de jefes stated.

10 bucks...... to cover shipping.

Would be cheaper....but if a envelope is thicker than 3/4 inch (?) it's classified as a parcel....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.