The Tax Man Cometh

Unwelcome surprise from payroll yesterday. Seems there was a mistake in my W4. There was no Federal Income tax withheld from me for all of 2011. Totally my fault. I made a mistake filling it out. But what the hell, did no one ever bother to ask themselves, “why does this guy not pay taxes” before the end of the year? Perhaps something they could have brought to my attention 12 months ago?

Bracing myself for tax season. I will owe a HELL OF A LOT.

My wife is already talking about selling the 620 and the motorcycle. Ouch.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kamakazi620

But there is so much paperwork involved in Ceceding from the state and if anything this has proven I suck at paper work :-)

Some time for $$$$$$ is it more cost effective to pay the rest of your life or spend 20+ hours paperwork to STICK it to the MAN???

Dude find out what u owe and pay before tax season, otherwise penalties and shit and murder from the irs. Ive been paying my tax debt for 4 years now from my ex boss freaking lying to me. Would of taken him to court on lying, if i could find his ass. Screwed me and a few other employees over. they charge you around a 125 dollar penalty almost every 3 months, makes the every third payment completly useless :(. And it puts you on their watch list, i made 1 lil mistake in filing last year and they already contacted me about it, luckily it was in my favor but they will watch you for several years for any mistakes.

Heres one thing i always like to say, what would the irs do if EVERYONE stopped paying, take and fine us all and take us all to court lol.

Thanks for the advice man. Sorry to hear that. It sucks even more when its someone elses fault. Yeah. Once payroll has corrected the W4 which they assured me today they would, I should see what the deduction sould have been by the next pay stub. Multiply that by 24 and if I survice the coronary I should have an estimate. Ill run it by an accountant though.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried the service they advertize on the radion and late night TV where they promise to reduce your IRS debt?

Dude find out what u owe and pay before tax season, otherwise penalties and shit and murder from the irs. Ive been paying my tax debt for 4 years now from my ex boss freaking lying to me. Would of taken him to court on lying, if i could find his ass. Screwed me and a few other employees over. they charge you around a 125 dollar penalty almost every 3 months, makes the every third payment completly useless :(. And it puts you on their watch list, i made 1 lil mistake in filing last year and they already contacted me about it, luckily it was in my favor but they will watch you for several years for any mistakes.

Sell the motorcycle and make payments. As long as you make them on time they will not bother you. When I went from making 22k per year in the Navy to over 100k as a Network and Systems Manager I felt what it was like to take it in the ass. I made an arrangement and paid my monthly payments and they never bothered me again.

Speaking of which, has anyone ever tried the service they advertize on the radion and late night TV where they promise to reduce your IRS debt?

Most of those are scams. First, all they do is put you on a payment schedule. That looks good to idiots that don't realize paying 10-25% interest over several years costs more, sometimes double, what paying it outright would cost. Second, most only work with you if you have over $10,000 in back taxes. You aren't really in "back taxes" since it's less than a year, but you'd be better off paying an estimated tax sooner rather than later because if it's over $1000 owed you're probably going to get hit with a penalty.

I tried that service, its only if your over 10k in the hole, i was like 7595 dollars when i had my issue lol. I was like come on, its just a couple k from ur guys's start limit. I even filed a amended return and they denied it, i should of only owed 1275 dollars, but they rejected my amended return which my accountant i hired said they would accept. The irs is a greedy kitten, you dont give it its meow mix, and it will fucking slash your hand and take the whole thing :( sigh. My debt is down to 1,200 so another year and a half it will be paid off, same with my car loan, and in 2 years the 08 sentra is paid of to. After that im not getting any more loans, ive had enough lol

Not to beat a dead horse but didn't you notice the nice 'raise' you suddendly got on your paychecks (since no federal taxes were being deducted your paychecks would have been more). That would have been my first clue. Oh well, what's done is done. It shouldn't be as bad as you think it will be. You haven't done anything wrong and you might be able to work out some payment schedule so you won't have to pay it all at once. Good luck!

I would go and talk to the people at the IRS, now. Before the new (tax) year.

Most people think that when they get a big refund after doing their taxes, that the IRS is paying them money. Reality is you made an excessive interest free loan to the government, and they are returning your money back to you, without paying interest.

Take care of it now. You might be able to avoid any penalties for the last quarter of 2011. You might have to eat beans and rice for a while, but you will get through it.

Not to beat a dead horse but didn't you notice the nice 'raise' you suddendly got on your paychecks (since no federal taxes were being deducted your paychecks would have been more). That would have been my first clue. Oh well, what's done is done. It shouldn't be as bad as you think it will be. You haven't done anything wrong and you might be able to work out some payment schedule so you won't have to pay it all at once. Good luck!

That dont matter with the irs, if you dont pay on time, when your supposed to, they will still hit you with penalty's and interest. Trust me, i know lol.