tools

I've broken plenty of Snap On, exactly why I don't have many. Craftsman/NAPA hand tools are generally perfect and rarely have issues. Mainly sockets and wrenches. For the money, you can outfit the entire box with the basic needs for SUBSTANTIALLY less than you can from Snap-On. My roommate spends all his money on Snap On, he owes a grip of cash to the truck. His toolbox is at 20% interest. Warranty or not, I got a bigger box for 80% less at Costco. And it's ball bearing, strong as fuck, genuinely a very nice box. He wanted the name though, and he paid up the ass for it, and he's still paying.

To me, that's just stupidity. I have a few select tools in BluePoint and Snap-On, but they are the tools that were the best quality for what I wanted. I have a fair amount of Harbor Freight impact sockets that haven't broken in 5 years of abuse. Impact sockets are another item that are quite strong and even crappy ones don't strip nuts because they're a huge nut. Plus, it seems my Craftsman and Harbor Freight impacts have damn near the same slop, so they can't be that bad.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i did the crank bolt on the duramax, we broke 3 ratchets that day. 2 craftsmans and my one snap on. the snap on had me hanging on the cheater pipe before the little blots on the front came loose and fucked everything up. thats the main flaw. the craftsmanns didnt stand a chance. one pretty much exploded, and the other one just stripped out the internals.

I've broken plenty of Snap On, exactly why I don't have many. Craftsman/NAPA hand tools are generally perfect and rarely have issues. Mainly sockets and wrenches. For the money, you can outfit the entire box with the basic needs for SUBSTANTIALLY less than you can from Snap-On. My roommate spends all his money on Snap On, he owes a grip of cash to the truck. His toolbox is at 20% interest. Warranty or not, I got a bigger box for 80% less at Costco. And it's ball bearing, strong as fuck, genuinely a very nice box. He wanted the name though, and he paid up the ass for it, and he's still paying.

To me, that's just stupidity. I have a few select tools in BluePoint and Snap-On, but they are the tools that were the best quality for what I wanted. I have a fair amount of Harbor Freight impact sockets that haven't broken in 5 years of abuse. Impact sockets are another item that are quite strong and even crappy ones don't strip nuts because they're a huge nut. Plus, it seems my Craftsman and Harbor Freight impacts have damn near the same slop, so they can't be that bad.

snap on pneumatic tools are also garbage. ill stick to my ingersor rand anyday.

what do you guys use for torque wrenches? i wrench professionally, and i need to buy a torque wrench. . As i work at a GM dealer, all the headbolts get torqued to yeid. as in angles. up until now i have been using just a regular torque wrench for the initial torque, then a "Kent Moore" digital angle meter the shop supplies. well, i have been getting a lot more lifter jobs and stuff where i am using the torque wrench daily. I would ike to just purchase my own. as now i have a few side jobs where i am going to have to do work at home. a few head gasket jobs.

so what have/ are you guys using? reminder, it must do both ft/lbs and angles.

i used the snap on tech angle on my last lifter job. the snap on guy here let me domo it. I must say i was impressed.

on the other hand, gear wrench makes one similar, and like 200 bux cheaper. but i am not sure on the quality.

just looking for opinions/ experience.

Snap-on techangle techwrench. Been using them for years. Amazing.

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

If you don't see the value in Snap-on tools you never will. It's nothing personal, it's not a flaw in character, it just depends on what your needs are.

And the posters arent to shabby either :cool:

If you don't see the value in Snap-on tools you never will. It's nothing personal, it's not a flaw in character, it just depends on what your needs are.

"My needs are to have $24,000 left over when buying a work bench" (is that wrong?)

2565917,ctmORfcKPw19n10zeYgWbuGyqAw+Tc+b+RCe+A2Dz6PUuQZpM6LPlArm0UA5ENB2KSQKrAPtYcJjzPcJVNgyTw==.jpgJ T Walsh, 'Needful Things'

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

"My needs are to have $24,000 left over when buying a work bench" (is that wrong?)

2565917,ctmORfcKPw19n10zeYgWbuGyqAw+Tc+b+RCe+A2Dz6PUuQZpM6LPlArm0UA5ENB2KSQKrAPtYcJjzPcJVNgyTw==.jpgJ T Walsh, 'Needful Things'

To buy a spring compressor :P :lol:

jk Mike :lol:

They seen the Mike spring compressor? :cool:

If you're serious about any job you do~ whether a mechanic by trade or weekend warrior~ buy the best tools you can possibly afford! They are not an expense, but an investment. When cheap tools break, they hurt you~ and maybe what you're working on. I've been wrenching all my life, and (unless I had to fab sumthin up) every handtool in my shop has a lifetime warranty. Point made for Craftsman/NAPA stuff~ lifetime warranty, and quality stuff. There's "Lifers" out there that are CRAP~ it does no good to get a free replacement tool if ya gotta replace it three times on a weekend! The truck tools are the best of the best~ but you'll save $$ NOT buying snapon~ they are overpriced. In truth all the truck tools are~ but they're selling financing and the convenience of delivery to your shop/workplace. The downside is if you do break something you gotta wait till next week for the truck tool dude, or hope to track him down. Another plus to avoiding snapon~ you can negotiate prices w/ the Matco & MAC guys~ the snapon guy won't budge.

Now, for some specifics regarding torque wrenches. This paragraph will deal with parasitic losses. DO NOT buy a flex head, and avoid a ratchethead at all costs unless you absolutely HAVE to have on. Flex heads are bad because as the wrench travels thru the arc of flexion both the distance and loading of the driven socket effect accurate torque readings. When you flex it the distance to pivot changes, altering wrench accuracy. The additional effort YOU have to make to hold things inline at this modified angle has a smaller but measurable effect on torque accuracy. Now, about the ratchet heads~ Any time you're torquing thru a moving joint there are parasitic losses. First in line of course is the ratchet head. Also WAAAY bad is using multiple extensions~ as every place movement's allowed between your hand on the wrench and the bolt being driven will produce parasitic losses from 1/2 to 2% (or more with the bargain tool crap). So if you use two extensions to reach that one headbolt in the back you've introduced as much as 6% variance~ or 3-4 pounds for the typical head bolt. Not that much you say? It might be torqued enough~ but it'll STILL be torqued different than it's 'neighbors'. ALWAYS endeavor to use the same socket/extension combo for all bolts involved~ be they head/maincap/rod or whatever. Pick a ratchet whose torque range puts your predominant usage in the middle of it's capacity. This will guarantee two things: first, you'll likely never break it~ and second, this is where it will be at it's most accurate.

My box?

25-250 ft/# Proto

5-100 ft/# Craftsman

10-150 in/# Utica

Peace~

Scott

So many things I want to quote from in this thread.

Mike-yes. They're tool boxes are expensive. Are they worth it? Who knows? Are they the nicest/strongest/best resale value of any box out on the market? Yep!

Albyneau, and anyone else-wheeling and dealin on the tool truck depends on your tool guy. They work for themselves, not Snap-On.

My last few Snap-On dealers have bent over backwards to cut deals. If you don't like the list price, offer 50% cash, payment the rest-watch that price plummet!

Now as far as Lifetime warranty-they all have it. Break it, replace it. Fine. Lifetime warranty to me shouldn't mean weekly.

Fuck a Craftsman tool. Fuck anything in the new MAC line-up. Cornwell is a joke. And I just plain don't trust Matco.

Are they expensive-yes.

Are they worth it? Not to the average user. But to a professional-worth their weight.

Say you buy 3 less quality ratchets, and all 3 break. All at $25ea. You could've had an FAR380 Snap-On ratchet for less.

My Snap-On guy will show up anytime I ask him to.

If I broke something-he's there.

If I need to buy a special tool, he's there.

IF that tool is not on his truck, he hunts down one for me to borrow from another one of his customers.

The price of Snap-On tools goes to the service you receive. If you have bad service, your tools are over-priced.

If you receive excellent attention from your dealer, the price of your tools is nothing but fair, if not better.

• Like 1
Guest 510kamikazifreak

So many things I want to quote from in this thread.

Mike-yes. They're tool boxes are expensive. Are they worth it? Who knows? Are they the nicest/strongest/best resale value of any box out on the market? Yep!

Albyneau, and anyone else-wheeling and dealin on the tool truck depends on your tool guy. They work for themselves, not Snap-On.

My last few Snap-On dealers have bent over backwards to cut deals. If you don't like the list price, offer 50% cash, payment the rest-watch that price plummet!

Now as far as Lifetime warranty-they all have it. Break it, replace it. Fine. Lifetime warranty to me shouldn't mean weekly.

Fuck a Craftsman tool. Fuck anything in the new MAC line-up. Cornwell is a joke. And I just plain don't trust Matco.

Are they expensive-yes.

Are they worth it? Not to the average user. But to a professional-worth their weight.

Say you buy 3 less quality ratchets, and all 3 break. All at $25ea. You could've had an FAR380 Snap-On ratchet for less.

My Snap-On guy will show up anytime I ask him to.

If I broke something-he's there.

If I need to buy a special tool, he's there.

IF that tool is not on his truck, he hunts down one for me to borrow from another one of his customers.

The price of Snap-On tools goes to the service you receive. If you have bad service, your tools are over-priced.

If you receive excellent attention from your dealer, the price of your tools is nothing but fair, if not better.

woah..thats a longish post... :P :lol:

as anything you get what you pay for and need.

Go jet :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: jk

Not saying people are idiots for buying them. I just don't need such 'quality' (certainly don't need the expense) :D but I do agree if you can afford it ALWAYS, always get the best you can for a tool. Saves you many times over in the long run.

Don't believe in Snap-On tool boxes?

Watch these videos... http://www.theundisputedchamp.com/

I would never pay MSRP for a Snap-On box, on top of Snap-On's interest.

My first Snap-On box, was a 60" wide, 24"deep double-cab. KRL761

Ball bearings. Round Key. Nice, newer box. $6500+MSRP

I paid $2200 for a mint, used box, right off the Snap-On dealer.

I'm pretty sure 6 of my toolboxes could support a dump truck. By the way, I love America, the bumper sticker was found cleaning a NAPA area and I liked the symbolism simply because back in the 80s it was the other way around for most people. Good reminder of how times change. It's important to see both sides of the argument.

toolbox10.jpg

I only buy Craftsman because I have broken my 14mm 3/8" deep socket like 5 times and I just take it down and they give me a new one. Screwdrivers too!!! If I wrenched professionally I would buy Matco or Snap on but probably only if I got a tool allowance. I know a lot of tools I have needed in an instant, so every now and then you will see some parts store tools or Lowes/Home Depot Tools. I might be switching over to Kobalt tools since Lowes is so close to me plus I get a 10% discount.

Do you guys get a tool allowance who wrench professionally? I worked a high end stereo shop and they gave me a 300.00 per month tool allowance with Snap on or Matco. I mainly used it for screw drivers, crimpers, soldering irons etc... That was back in 1988 - 1990. The other shops I worked at were just part time while I was in the military and didnt get the tool allowance.

Don't believe in Snap-On tool boxes?

Watch these videos... http://www.theundisputedchamp.com/

I would never pay MSRP for a Snap-On box, on top of Snap-On's interest.

My first Snap-On box, was a 60" wide, 24"deep double-cab. KRL761

Ball bearings. Round Key. Nice, newer box. $6500+MSRP

I paid $2200 for a mint, used box, right off the Snap-On dealer.

LOL, on the powder coat test he used a Husky ball peen hammer.

The points about paying msrp are very true, Its like a car, do you pay sticker price? I have a Matco 2 bay roller with a hutch, I believe the flyer price was around 12k, gave me 2k trade in on my old beat up box that wasn't worth $500, paid $5k for the box and got the Hutch ($1800 msrp) for free. Plus my dealer rekeyed my service cart to the box so I would only need the 1 key for free.

This is almost a pointless thread.

If you make a living in the trades, you need to file a Schedule C form on your taxes. (I say that because I believe you all are stupid enough to work for somebody else, and have the government take your hard earned cash in withholding and waste it for us.)

Grow a brain and get the small business tax guide. Read it until you understand it. Get a Federal Tax ID number and then you can have a shot at using your hard earned money before you decide how much you want to give the IRS... if any. Get a business checking account and use it to buy everything... gas, oil, parts, beer, dog food... then you can expense it!!!

You do side jobs, report the income. There is no law that says your business has to make money. Buy tools, keep a journal of those checks and then show them as expenses on schedule C. It is possible to have more expenses than income on your Schedule C, and have that offset income from your regular job in 'covered' 1040 employment.

When I was a professional musician and worked six or seven night a week, I got paid cash every night, stuck the money in my pocket. I should have done what our sound guy did. He had a PHD in physics and worked at the Stanford Linear Accelerator... smart guy and made a crap load of money.

He was a hobby guitar player and bought all kinds of instruments, recording equipment... like a couple hundred grand worth of studio shit. He bought a badd-assed PA system and paid a kid to be our roady every night. On the weekends he would come to the gigs to hustle chicks and party, but we cut him in as a member of the band. He would get the $40 or $50 or $100 any band member would get depending on the gig. He showed it as steady income through the year, and proceeded to expense all the guitars and studio equipment he could afford. His business lost money, but he was ahead on his taxes and had cool toys.

So what are we talking about here? A few lousy hundred bucks a year or even a month in tool purchases? When I was contracting, I expensed, trucks, vans, gas, oil, repairs, health and dental insurance, shop, warehouse, tools, machinery... and dog food. We expensed that as Security Services... the dog guarded our shop at night. I never thought twice about buying tools or equipment for the business. Always the best unless I knew the tools would be consumed in the cost of the project.

Tools are to make money. They are not some alter to kneel and pray to the Snap-On god. If you aren't making money with tools, then they are costing you floor space to keep them. I remember in my tool junkie phase though my 30s, I would go to Western Tool Supply and put stuff on account. Oh, look at that new Powermatic Band saw... bitchin' man, ship it to the shop... don't care how much, it's cool and I could use it... and I can expense it on my taxes.

All this is groovy and Awsome/Rad bitchin' toocool... but if your tools aren't making you money you can't afford them... or don't whine about your expensive hobby.

• Like 1