Jim's 1200 project

goes2fast

Jim,

The trunk flooring looks really good, nice job. I may have a piece or two of the trunk plastic but if I remember right they are very, very, very sad looking. Also may take awhile to find as I don't know if they are in storage or in the garage...but I know where to find you :lol:

Thanks Kelmo, Any thing helps as I'm missing several sizable chunks from what I have, and it's easier to weld in a correctly shaped piece than to make one from scratch. :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in love with your 12hundy. Makes me want one! Subscribed.

Thanks, I was feeling the same way about your 510, but couldn't find one I could afford. Now that I have the 1200, I'm very happy as it is so much fun to drive. Once I get the suspension and brakes sorted I plan on auto crossing with it, should be a gas. :D

It's not easy, but if you are careful, it can be done. You have to swap the mounting cups as the 280 unit is deeper, and drill a hole for the trip meter shaft through the back. The other issue is the face is to large for the opening in the 1200 housing, so I carefully used my belt sander to reduce the diameter by 1/8 inch. If you want a more detailed look, I can take pics when I do the same conversion to my 620. :cool:

That doesnt sound too bad at all, and i am would be doing it to a 620 anyways, but i know that the 1200 and 620 share similarities in the guages so that is why i asked. But if you plan to do a 620? details would be great.

That doesnt sound too bad at all, and i am would be doing it to a 620 anyways, but i know that the 1200 and 620 share similarities in the guages so that is why i asked. But if you plan to do a 620? details would be great.

I should be doing it in the next couple of weeks, so I'll make sure to document it. :)

As a few of you know I recently picked up a 71 1200 coupe. I haven't posted much so far as I've been trying to get it drivable before the winter weather sets in. Today I got the engine running good finally, installed a Weber DGEV, Pertronics electronic ignition conversion, new NGKs and wires. Now it runs like a top, no more stuttering, and stumbling at low speeds. I've recovered and replaced the boards in the cargo area, and the rear seat back. Instead of paper thin vinyl like it came with, I used light weight black carpet. It came out pretty good. I also got it lowered 2 inches all the way around, so It looks better on the outside. Unfortunetly the rear sway bar I ordered was 9" too wide, so I didn't get that on. I'm going to try and post some pics, hope I get it right this time! :P

Previous owner in northern CA

Martin1200.jpg

Headed home in Reno

1200Reno.jpg

Not bad for 79 horsepower

TopEnd.jpg

Dash almost finished

DashRestored2.jpg

Fender repaired

FenderRepairs.jpg

A14 with junk carb.

A14.jpg

Seats from ???

SeatsFrom.jpg

At home in my driveway.

RtSide.jpg

Fender before repair

1200-2.jpg

Nice ride.This KB-10.

Made a little progress this weekend, got the power door locks installed and hooked up to my alarm, so I now have keyless entry. Once I get my DZ start I'll be all set. I also repaired a couple of cracks in the left rear trim panel I just got and installed it. Decided to wait to take pics until I get the other 2. My sweet heart gets a little better every day, I love it. :D

• 1 month later...

Carpet? where the heck did you find carpet? :D

I got it from a company in Australia that sells on Ebay. Was not cheap, but what are you going to do if no one else makes a molded carpet for a 1200? :rolleyes:

Finally got off my butt and got some pics uploaded.

This is the backside of one of the rear trim panels after fiberglass repair was made.

BacksidePanelrepair.jpg

Front side of repair

Frontsidepanelrepair.jpg

Finished repair

Frontsiderepairfinished.jpg

Hole cut for DZ Start button.

HoleforDZStartbutton.jpg

DZ trim ring installed.

DZStarttrimring.jpg

DZ button installed, was easier than I thought, love it now that it is done!

DZStartButtonInstalled.jpg

The rear panel repair is excellent work. I am hoping to do some of that on mine soon. What paint did you use? Was it just a touch up or did you spray the whole panel? I am trying to mold in some speaker enclosures too. Mine are really cracked up so I hope I can get it to look half as nice as yours!

Nice work!

The rear panel repair is excellent work. I am hoping to do some of that on mine soon. What paint did you use? Was it just a touch up or did you spray the whole panel? I am trying to mold in some speaker enclosures too. Mine are really cracked up so I hope I can get it to look half as nice as yours!

Nice work!

Thanks for the flowers, I used Krylon satin black, the same stuff I use on my grills and other trim. I sprayed all the plastic trim so that they will match.