Jim's 1200 project

goes2fast

As a few of you know I recently picked up a 71 1200 coupe. I haven't posted much so far as I've been trying to get it drivable before the winter weather sets in. Today I got the engine running good finally, installed a Weber DGEV, Pertronics electronic ignition conversion, new NGKs and wires. Now it runs like a top, no more stuttering, and stumbling at low speeds. I've recovered and replaced the boards in the cargo area, and the rear seat back. Instead of paper thin vinyl like it came with, I used light weight black carpet. It came out pretty good. I also got it lowered 2 inches all the way around, so It looks better on the outside. Unfortunetly the rear sway bar I ordered was 9" too wide, so I didn't get that on. I'm going to try and post some pics, hope I get it right this time! :P

Previous owner in northern CA

Martin1200.jpg

Headed home in Reno

1200Reno.jpg

Not bad for 79 horsepower

TopEnd.jpg

Dash almost finished

DashRestored2.jpg

Fender repaired

FenderRepairs.jpg

A14 with junk carb.

A14.jpg

Seats from ???

SeatsFrom.jpg

At home in my driveway.

RtSide.jpg

Fender before repair

1200-2.jpg

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because your gauge lamp is out.

Normal temperature range -- according to the Datsun owners manual -- is between the C and H marks. If below the C mark, change the thermostat. If above the H mark, test the radiator flow and proper bleeding out of air.

Anywhere in this range is acceptable. Refer to the owners manual.

174_4c15ad181d4d8.jpg

Because your gauge lamp is out.

Normal temperature range -- according to the Datsun owners manual -- is between the C and H marks. If below the C mark, change the thermostat. If above the H mark, test the radiator flow and proper bleeding out of air.

Anywhere in this range is acceptable. Refer to the owners manual.

174_4c15ad181d4d8.jpg

Now that the correct Weber is on and jetted right, and timing set the gauge stays right in the middle.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found time to take some pics of my progress.

Installed a 280Z Speedo

280ZSpeedo1.jpg

Found a console from a Honduh Civic that fits well.

Console1.jpg

Console2.jpg

Replaced the crumbling original steering wheel.

NewSteeringWheel.jpg

Replaced oddball Weber with correct DGV.

NewCarbinstalled.jpg

The rear seat back was the worst of the rear floor boards, but all were either warped or broken.

OldSeatback.jpg

This is the replacement I made.

NewSeatback.jpg

This is the rear cargo area after replacing all the boards, and carpeting them. I'm now in the process of trying to repair the plastic trim at the rear.

NewrearCarpet.jpg

By the way, after installing the correct Weber, and a tuneup, my little hot rod runs great! :D

Looks good.

If you ever replace that carpet, I will buy the old check-pattern tunnel carpet from you.

th_NewSteeringWheel.jpg

I'm ordering carpet soon, but that center section is falling apart plus I had to cut some sections out for the console mounts, sorry. :(

2eDeYe' date='02 December 2011 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1322865420' post='586874']

Any more pics of that white car in the background? :cool:

No, but it was pretty cool. I'm trying to remember what it was, but he had so many unusual cars, it's hard to keep them all straight. I think it was a Lancia though.

Jim,

The trunk flooring looks really good, nice job. I may have a piece or two of the trunk plastic but if I remember right they are very, very, very sad looking. Also may take awhile to find as I don't know if they are in storage or in the garage...but I know where to find you :lol:

what was involved in putting the Z speedo?

It's not easy, but if you are careful, it can be done. You have to swap the mounting cups as the 280 unit is deeper, and drill a hole for the trip meter shaft through the back. The other issue is the face is to large for the opening in the 1200 housing, so I carefully used my belt sander to reduce the diameter by 1/8 inch. If you want a more detailed look, I can take pics when I do the same conversion to my 620. :cool: