l series trans on a12

Zfighter76

will it fit. i checked on the search tool and nothing came up. i have access to a buunch of a12 engines, some of them marked and some unmarked (i know that was being talked about on another thread), and i wanted to start a hi performance build with one just for fun, and possibly to throw in a stripped down shell to take to willow springs. anyways, does anybody know if an l series trans will fit on an a12? any info will be appreciated.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will it fit. i checked on the search tool and nothing came up. i have access to a buunch of a12 engines, some of them marked and some unmarked (i know that was being talked about on another thread), and i wanted to start a hi performance build with one just for fun, and possibly to throw in a stripped down shell to take to willow springs. anyways, does anybody know if an l series trans will fit on an a12? any info will be appreciated.

I beleave an A series(B210) will bolt to the A12 block, doubt the L block trannys will.

alright, just though i remember someone talking about a good five speed coming out of an a series but maybe i was mistaken. thanks anyways though

Well there were three 5 speeds used on the A series including the FS5W63A dogleg, same as the ones used in the 200sx. Bolt patterns were different.

so at my school, i have like 20 or so a12's. my auto shop teacher said i could have one, none of them have ever been installed or started, but used to demonstrate compression tests and valve jobs. one of them has a bell housing, would it be a good idea to use that bell housing to a 280z 4 speed? i dont know what trans was on it because none has transmissions. what are my options as far as bolt up transmissions? i kinda wanna build up the engine on the side and then throw it in a car when im done, so im not rushed or anything.

No. Physically different size bellhousing. There were both FS5C63A 5-speeds for both L and A series engines, but the front case was cast specifically for each application. You CAN switch the front case, but that requires having the correct transmission to swap FROM.

You will need to swap the A series input shaft along with the A series front case. The L input shaft uses a larger ID pilot bushing and it will not fit into the engine.

You will also need to use a B210 5 speed clutch disc to match the larger diameter splines on the 63 transmission to the smaller OD A series clutch.

And don't forget that there are sellers who don't have a clue and think they have a B-210 dogleg when what they really have is a 60 series one from a 210. Always know more about it than the seller so you will get what you want.

ggzilla there was also a Z series dogleg complete with a closer ratio gear set. Well, 1st and 2nd are lower number than the L series and reverse is a higher number.

ok thanks guys. and if one of the a series engines that i am getting has a bell housing already, would i be able to bolt it up to any dogleg???? just swap bell housings? another plus, well, at least i think, i was looking through all of them all today and swapping parts to make the best complete one i could, and one has an electronic distributor. is that stock on an a series? is that uncommon or rare even? none of these engines have ever been ran other than on the stand so i doubt someone would have breplaced the dizzy. i wanted to get this one also because its the one with the bell housing and all the stock equipment. it also has a fan clutch which none of the others have.

Nope. None of them have a separate bellhousing. Instead most Nissan transmission have the bell pattern cast into the tranmission 'front case'.

If you find a 5-speed for an A-series engine, that's all you need. There is no separate bell housing that you would have to look for it.